Ducks 101

Not sure about heat tolerant but I believe most domestic ducks don’t fly. Not sure about moscovies. I’ve heard stories about them flying but I think they’re just flying off the ground not flying away. Someone with muscovies could tell you.

My lighter ducks can get maybe a foot or two off the ground and fly for maybe 5-10 feet. I’ve never had any issues with them flying over fences or anything like that.
If all goes well they will free range with our chickens. Where they free range is enclosed with a 4ft tall chain link fence. Also if you didn't see earlier in this thread we are right underneath a migratory flyway.

Good to know about the Pekins! I won't get them.
I'm pretty much looking for a healthier breed of duck.
I'll look into Saxonys.
With that in mind I’d still highly recommend khakis & welshies. But yes give Saxonys a look too!
If all goes well they will free range with our chickens. Where they free range is enclosed with a 4ft tall chain link fence. Also if you didn't see earlier in this thread we are right underneath a migratory flyway.
I missed that part but any ducks I’ve had wouldn’t ever even be able to make the 4ft fence. I have/had pekin, khaki, Swedish, welshie, saxony, Cayuga & some mixes. Someone else chime in if there is a breed that would fly away.

I think I'll get both of those!
How many of each breed should I get? I probably doesn't matter right?
No shouldn’t matter how many of each breed. Gender is really what matters. You should have about 4 females for every male. But you could also do all females or all males. If doing all males they’d probably need to be separated from your chickens though.

No shouldn’t matter how many of each breed. Gender is really what matters. You should have about 4 females for every male.
Once I decide on breeds my next question will be where to get them, I'll most likely order from a hatchery. I will order all females but what is the chance of a drake? Same as chickens?

Once I decide on breeds my next question will be where to get them, I'll most likely order from a hatchery. I will order all females but what is the chance of a drake? Same as chickens?
I got mine shipped from metzer. I couldn’t find anything local besides pekins and khakis.

I believe it’s a 90% accuracy rate for gender. I’ve got 6 from metzer and they were all correct genders.

Back
Top Bottom