Pics

Tookie

🐓Eggsuberant🐤
Premium Feather Member
Dec 19, 2021
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I was thinking about getting ducks next year, I know nothing about them so I have a lot of questions and need to be educated!

What are the pros and cons of having ducks?
What breeds should I get? Any healthier breeds of ducks? I know some can fly and some cannot, what do I do about that? What's the minimum amount of ducks I should get? How many should I get as a beginner?
What do they need to eat?
What waterers and feeders do they need?
How much coop space do they need? How many nesting boxes? What type of bedding? How much ventilation? How much run space? How high can the coop be off the ground?
How do you deal with a pond/pool? How much pool space per duck? How deep?
Ducks and chickens can free range together but should have separate sleeping areas right?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Tookie,

Yes, join the duck side!

I'll try to answer some of your questions, although a lot of them will be very vague.

What are the pros and cons of having ducks?

Pros: Great foragers, most of them. Free fertilizer. Supply of amazing eggs and meat. Amusing as all get out! Adorable.

Cons: Messy! Stinky if coop cleanliness is not kept up. Eat more than chickens do. Say goodbye to your grass and hello to mudholes.

What breeds should I get? Any healthier breeds of ducks?

Breed depends on what you want them for. Most duck breeds are quite healthy although those that were bred to be meat or heavy layers can have the same issues chickens do, especially the Pekin. Overall, I haven't had any health issues with mine, apart from one mystery death (which we think may have been caused by internal injuries from my dog playing with the drake in question).

I know some can fly and some cannot, what do I do about that?

Clip the flight feathers, super easy to do. And most can't fly, just the lighter breeds usually, and some Muscovy, esp. females.

What's the minimum amount of ducks I should get? How many should I get as a beginner?

Consensus is 3 to 4 females per male. As for how many, that depends on how much space and time you are willing to dedicate to it. Oh, and beware Duck Math. We started here with ten, culled four drakes, then got four Muscovy. I think we have 37 right now...

What do they need to eat?

A good pellet formulated specifically for ducks. Supplements/treats include fresh veggies and some fruit, mealworms/BSFL, pretty much the same things you can give chickens.

What waterers and feeders do they need?

Here is the main difference with chickens. The waterer needs to be deep enough they can dunk their whole heads in, so as to clear out their nares. I just use tubs I get from the dollar store, the type to do dishes in. Feeders I use the same kind of tubs as I wet down their food (personal preference).

How much coop space do they need? How many nesting boxes? What type of bedding? How much ventilation? How much run space? How high can the coop be off the ground?

Bundled all of these together, since they're related. I believe it's recommended to have 4 square feet per duck in the coop. They don't usually use nesting boxes, although Muscovy prefer them and I did have some of my other ducks use them also. I use wood shavings for bedding, others use straw or hemp, or a mixture. Some have sand as a base.

As for chickens, good ventilation is required, especially considering how wet their droppings are. I don't know about the run, since mine free range. As for height... Unsure also, but I assume as long as there's a ramp...

How do you deal with a pond/pool? How much pool space per duck? How deep?

I have four 'kiddy' pools, the cheap ones you get at Walmart. They aren't that deep, but enough for them to get in and bathe and stuff. THE WATER WILL GET DIRTY WITHIN FIVE MINUTES!!! Nothing you can do about that. I empty and refill once a day, twice if I'm feeling generous, lol!

Ducks and chickens can free range together but should have separate sleeping areas right?

I free range mine together without issues. Some do house them together but you'd need a pretty large coop for that, I'd think. Or a barn.

Thanks in advance!

You're most welcome! I know I wasn't too much help there, but it should give you a good base line to work off of.

Hey Tookie,

Yes, join the duck side!

I'll try to answer some of your questions, although a lot of them will be very vague.

Pros: Great foragers, most of them. Free fertilizer. Supply of amazing eggs and meat. Amusing as all get out! Adorable.

Cons: Messy! Stinky if coop cleanliness is not kept up. Eat more than chickens do. Say goodbye to your grass and hello to mudholes.

Breed depends on what you want them for. Most duck breeds are quite healthy although those that were bred to be meat or heavy layers can have the same issues chickens do, especially the Pekin. Overall, I haven't had any health issues with mine, apart from one mystery death (which we think may have been caused by internal injuries from my dog playing with the drake in question).

Clip the flight feathers, super easy to do. And most can't fly, just the lighter breeds usually, and some Muscovy, esp. females.

Consensus is 3 to 4 females per male. As for how many, that depends on how much space and time you are willing to dedicate to it. Oh, and beware Duck Math. We started here with ten, culled four drakes, then got four Muscovy. I think we have 37 right now...

A good pellet formulated specifically for ducks. Supplements/treats include fresh veggies and some fruit, mealworms/BSFL, pretty much the same things you can give chickens.

Here is the main difference with chickens. The waterer needs to be deep enough they can dunk their whole heads in, so as to clear out their nares. I just use tubs I get from the dollar store, the type to do dishes in. Feeders I use the same kind of tubs as I wet down their food (personal preference).

Bundled all of these together, since they're related. I believe it's recommended to have 4 square feet per duck in the coop. They don't usually use nesting boxes, although Muscovy prefer them and I did have some of my other ducks use them also. I use wood shavings for bedding, others use straw or hemp, or a mixture. Some have sand as a base.

As for chickens, good ventilation is required, especially considering how wet their droppings are. I don't know about the run, since mine free range. As for height... Unsure also, but I assume as long as there's a ramp...

I have four 'kiddy' pools, the cheap ones you get at Walmart. They aren't that deep, but enough for them to get in and bathe and stuff. THE WATER WILL GET DIRTY WITHIN FIVE MINUTES!!! Nothing you can do about that. I empty and refill once a day, twice if I'm feeling generous, lol!

I free range mine together without issues. Some do house them together but you'd need a pretty large coop for that, I'd think. Or a barn.

You're most welcome! I know I wasn't too much help there, but it should give you a good base line to work off of.
:goodpost:

Hey Tookie,

Yes, join the duck side!

Thank you both for this information! I'll have to get reading!
No doubt I will have more questions!

The best thing to do is read about the many breeds and then start narrowing down your picks then once you have some breeds picked post them and those of us who have that breed can give you pros and cons about them. Here is more info and if you go all the way to the bottom you'll see the breed focus which will give you info one the different breeds.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-sticky-topics-index.256233/

The best thing to do is read about the many breeds and then start narrowing down your picks then once you have some breeds picked post them and those of us who have that breed can give you pros and cons about them. Here is more info and if you go all the way to the bottom you'll see the breed focus which will give you info one the different breeds.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-sticky-topics-index.256233/
One breed I was thinking of are Welsh Harlequins. Since they lay a lot of eggs do they tend to get reproduction issues like production breed chickens?

I have 2 female Buffs they really are beautiful ducks and good egg layers.both are 6.5 yrs old and have never had any egg laying problems thank the Lord. Here’s
45139925-2F95-4C65-8BA2-3C581DD96A4B.jpeg
one with her hatch mate a Runner.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom