Ducks 101

Owing ducks is exciting
I agree with watch the math as I started with just 2 and now have 16 :)
I have
Pekin
Khaki Campbell
Off spring from these parents as well as
Blue , silver Swedish
I find my Swedish are so chill but the girls can be much louder then my other breeds
My pekin and her first 3 daughters are very quiet
Calm birds but don’t like to be held
My khaki boy is a bit high strung but overall a nice duck. Khaki can fly but my boy has angel wing that the vet could never get to correct as the bird refused to wear the wrap so he doesn’t ever fly
I have both kid pools I dump daily and 2 ponds I do every 4-5 days
The ponds are a pain unless you can set them above ground and add a drain
They take awhile to scrub and clean especially in the summer days
If you keep water sources away from the grass by using cement blocks or patio pavers ect this helps to keep the digging down
I use fake grass around my one pond and this has stopped them from digging around it and keeps it cleaner with no mud
I have put in smaller dog crates in the pens and my ducks go in them to lay eggs
I use to keep water and feed in the pens at night but not anymore
This reduces the mess a lot
In winter and really hot summer days I will add small bowls of water but no feed.
I clean my pens daily
I use pine shavings
They make clean up much better
I have used straw / hay at first and it’s horrible to clean
Waste much more this way
On a good note I use to have a ton of ants in my yard but my ducks take care of them
They also enjoy all the dandelions we have
You can mix your flock and have a few different breeds
I enjoy seeing all the different looks I have

You said you don’t want them for meat or lots of eggs, right? So what’s your criteria, that may help us give input on what breeds may be right for you.
I don't want meat birds, which Pekins are more of a meat bird right? I would like a duck that lays about 200-300 eggs a day. Do ducks that lay more eggs tend to get more reproduction issues like production chicken breeds do?
Muscovy don't lay a huge amount of eggs since they spend so much time being broody ever thought about them? I love this breed.
I haven't thought about them, they could be a possibility.
Owing ducks is exciting
I agree with watch the math as I started with just 2 and now have 16 :)
I have
Pekin
Khaki Campbell
Off spring from these parents as well as
Blue , silver Swedish
I find my Swedish are so chill but the girls can be much louder then my other breeds
My pekin and her first 3 daughters are very quiet
Calm birds but don’t like to be held
My khaki boy is a bit high strung but overall a nice duck. Khaki can fly but my boy has angel wing that the vet could never get to correct as the bird refused to wear the wrap so he doesn’t ever fly
I have both kid pools I dump daily and 2 ponds I do every 4-5 days
The ponds are a pain unless you can set them above ground and add a drain
They take awhile to scrub and clean especially in the summer days
If you keep water sources away from the grass by using cement blocks or patio pavers ect this helps to keep the digging down
I use fake grass around my one pond and this has stopped them from digging around it and keeps it cleaner with no mud
I have put in smaller dog crates in the pens and my ducks go in them to lay eggs
I use to keep water and feed in the pens at night but not anymore
This reduces the mess a lot
In winter and really hot summer days I will add small bowls of water but no feed.
I clean my pens daily
I use pine shavings
They make clean up much better
I have used straw / hay at first and it’s horrible to clean
Waste much more this way
On a good note I use to have a ton of ants in my yard but my ducks take care of them
They also enjoy all the dandelions we have
You can mix your flock and have a few different breeds
I enjoy seeing all the different looks I have
Thank you for this info!

Any breeds that are more heat tolerant? Also ones that can't fly away?

I don't want meat birds, which Pekins are more of a meat bird right? I would like a duck that lays about 200-300 eggs a day. Do ducks that lay more eggs tend to get more reproduction issues like production chicken breeds do?
Yes pekins are more of a meat bird. Mine lays eggs almost as often as my khaki (when she isn’t broody). I looooooove pekins. They have such fun personalities & are beautiful. But I’m not planning on getting any more pekins just because of their leg issues. 2 out of our 3 have had major leg issues. Our 3rd is still young and I’m assuming it’s only a matter of time before he has issues as well. Since you aren’t looking for meat birds I would avoid pekins for that reason.

If you want good layers I would say khaki campbells or welsh harlequins. I have both and love both. In my opinion the welsh harlequins are better looking but my khaki has a personality that can’t be beat!

I don’t know if egg layers have more reproductive issues or not. My khaki is 3 (I think lol) and she’s an awesome layer and hasn’t had any issues!

Just throwing it out there, I just got some Saxonys this summer and they’re my new favorite breed!

Any breeds that are more heat tolerant? Also ones that can't fly away?
Not sure about heat tolerant but I believe most domestic ducks don’t fly. Not sure about moscovies. I’ve heard stories about them flying but I think they’re just flying off the ground not flying away. Someone with muscovies could tell you.

My lighter ducks can get maybe a foot or two off the ground and fly for maybe 5-10 feet. I’ve never had any issues with them flying over fences or anything like that.

Yes pekins are more of a meat bird. Mine lays eggs almost as often as my khaki (when she isn’t broody). I looooooove pekins. They have such fun personalities & are beautiful. But I’m not planning on getting any more pekins just because of their leg issues. 2 out of our 3 have had major leg issues. Our 3rd is still young and I’m assuming it’s only a matter of time before he has issues as well. Since you aren’t looking for meat birds I would avoid pekins for that reason.

If you want good layers I would say khaki campbells or welsh harlequins. I have both and love both. In my opinion the welsh harlequins are better looking but my khaki has a personality that can’t be beat!

I don’t know if egg layers have more reproductive issues or not. My khaki is 3 (I think lol) and she’s an awesome layer and hasn’t had any issues!

Just throwing it out there, I just got some Saxonys this summer and they’re my new favorite breed!
Good to know about the Pekins! I won't get them.
I'm pretty much looking for a healthier breed of duck.
I'll look into Saxonys.

Back
Top Bottom