Ducks and bees/wasps

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
So my (very silly) duck, Dougie, decided to eat a bee yesterday! It seemed to be dead, but she didn't hesitate, just swallowed.
She's been fine, no swelling from any stings, and acting normal so I am not at all worried about it-
But it leads me to wonder how you all cope with bees/wasps around your ducks? Are they usually okay if they do eat them/get stung? I've heard some people saying they can get hurt and end up with swelling, and others who say they respond differently to stings than us?
Whenever my dogs get a bee, they end up with swollen lips! So I would worry about the ducks ending up the same.

What would you do if they did end up with swelling? Would they need to see a vet asap, or is there something you can do from home? Would it be okay left alone?
I'm a fairly new duck mum, so I don't know if this is a silly worry of mine or-!
I just want to know more so I can be more confident in future. Any thoughts appreciated!

If one of our birds ate a bee or was stung by one and there was swelling then I'd think we should use Benedryl for children. I'm not sure of the dose but It can probably be found online.
my medical kit is almost done! A couple things left. So I just came back to this thread to refresh my memory-
Just wondering, do you mean this product?

Attachments

• 640x640.jpg
    640x640.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom