Ducks and chickens

Bvangorp

Chirping
Mar 20, 2022
I have ducks and chickens and I know they say you need 4sqft for each but my question is my chickens roost up high and have a board under them to catch poop, so does this number still apply? I figured the ducks really need the floor space to nest but the chickens will be up top out of the way.

I have about a 20ish sqft coop and I’m trying to decide if I should build a duck only coop or if it is not really necessary.

I have ducks and chickens and I know they say you need 4sqft for each but my question is my chickens roost up high and have a board under them to catch poop, so does this number still apply? I figured the ducks really need the floor space to nest but the chickens will be up top out of the way.

I have about a 20ish sqft coop and I’m trying to decide if I should build a duck only coop or if it is not really necessary.
Yes the four square foot coop space still applies. It does regardless.

Only floor space counts, so yes, the square footage per bird guideline remains.

Also, it's really not a good idea to house ducks and chickens together.

First, dry chickens are healthy chickens but ducks turn their environment into a wet mess.

Second, if you end up with a drake and it mates with a hen it can kill her. Drakes have penises and roosters do not. Hens aren't built for that.

I have my ducks and chickens in the same coop. My drakes have plenty of female ducks, and I have roosters so the drakes don't seem to want to mate with the hens.

I also keep my water feeders out of my coop. (I literally have a small "hallway" that the birds can access all the time, but the hallway has paving stones as a floor and is separate from my coop) I have my coop set up this way because ducks make messes.

The square footage still based on floor space, and your chickens and ducks are better off having more room than less. That being said, if you free range your birds all day, and your worried about *an* extra bird you're probably fine. If you're trying to cram 20 birds in 10 feet, you're going to have a lot of problems no matter how many perches you build.

Good to know. I have 20 sqft coop including nesting boxes. I was going to try to have 2 chickens hens and 3 ducks hens no drakes I don’t think. I know it will be kind of squished but not terrible.

Also with the water I have an automatic door. Do the ducks need water over night? Their run is about 125-150 sq ft and I may let the ducks out to wander

In the run I plan on having waters and cement tubs or kiddie pools for the ducks​

Also with the water I have an automatic door. Do the ducks need water over night? Their run is about 125-150 sq ft and I may let the ducks out to wander

In the run I plan on having waters and cement tubs or kiddie pools for the ducks​
I have a couple of 3'x2'x8" tubs for water in my run, with a rather large horse trough in my front yard for my ducks to play in. ... Along with automatic water feeders they can access all the time.

Yes, your ducks need access to water all night, ducks don't settle down like chickens do when the sun goes down. They'll sleep, but they will also do stuff at night. That being said, they get access to water to dip their beak in at night but not enough water to play in at my house.

Got it. Then I’ll for sure have some in there for light dipping etc. good to know. I’m debating building out a bit more onto the coop for extra room well see.

Question there is a ramp to the coop will the ducks be ok? I’ve heard they don’t like smaller doors?

Got it. Then I’ll for sure have some in there for light dipping etc. good to know. I’m debating building out a bit more onto the coop for extra room well see.

Question there is a ramp to the coop will the ducks be ok? I’ve heard they don’t like smaller doors?
My ducks use ramps. So long as they have little step bars on then for grip, it should be fine. All of my doors are at least 16"x16". My nesting boxes are 5 gallon Lowe's buckets and they go in those... I don't know how'd they do with anything smaller than about a foot.

* If I were you, I'd probably build the coop out a bit, given that you want to add more birds. But that's me

Ya it’s 20 sqft I’ll have 5 birds so technically it’ll fit the 20sqft but I’d prefer them to have more room. We’ll have to see maybe I will just build a duck coop and let birds go where ever they want haha

I have a couple of 3'x2'x8" tubs for water in my run, with a rather large horse trough in my front yard for my ducks to play in. ... Along with automatic water feeders they can access all the time.

Yes, your ducks need access to water all night, ducks don't settle down like chickens do when the sun goes down. They'll sleep, but they will also do stuff at night. That being said, they get access to water to dip their beak in at night but not enough water to play in at my house.
I don't have water at night for my 7 ducks. I've had them for three years and never have had water. My ducks do settle down and sleep throughout the night. We have a camera and watch them. They make WAY too much of a mess in the water to have it near by.

Back
Top Bottom