Ducks and dog food?

Chickmgnet

Chirping
Dec 19, 2020
Phoenix, Az
So my older Pekin was wondering around the house with her 3 baby siblings and somehow made their way to the dog food. They all seem fine it's just that I can feed the pieces in their crop. Should this be a problem? Obviously I'm not going to continue to allow them to consums such large pieces.

Its nothing to worry about. In the long run it can cause damage, but I've seen threads were ducks have passed much more dangerous things with no issues.
I don't think dog food will make a duck grow any bigger, or faster then usually though. It would actually cause deficiencies because of diluting the protein, niacin, and other vitamins in the diet if fed along with food in the long run.
But, a little nibble will be completely fine.

Its nothing to worry about. In the long run it can cause damage, but I've seen threads were ducks have passed much more dangerous things with no issues.
I don't think dog food will make a duck grow any bigger, or faster then usually though. It would actually cause deficiencies because of diluting the protein, niacin, and other vitamins in the diet if fed along with food in the long run.
But, a little nibble will be completely fine.
Not sure what dog food you buy, but the stuff I buy is 27% protein.

Hen layer seems to be 16 to 18% protein and meat bird is 22%

Most all flock food is 20%

So my older Pekin was wondering around the house with her 3 baby siblings and somehow made their way to the dog food. They all seem fine it's just that I can feed the pieces in their crop. Should this be a problem? Obviously I'm not going to continue to allow them to consums such large pieces.
My biggest concern would be if they have access to soil or grit.

I give my ducks dog food from time to time but it's the small breed formula so the pieces are the same size as cats food.

Over half of my ducks diet is natural forage.

Dog food is fine in minimal amounts, and as long as the pieces are small to prevent choking. Many wildlife rehabilitators will use dog food for hatchlings, and nestlings. If you begin feeding it frequently to a grown duck that excess protein will be converted to fat which in the long run would not be conducive to great health.

Not sure what dog food you buy, but the stuff I buy is 27% protein.

Hen layer seems to be 16 to 18% protein and meat bird is 22%

Most all flock food is 20%
Darn! You caught me. I meant to right it the other way around. Excess protein, and then dilute other minerals, since anything you add along with feed usually does.
Thanks for catching that haha! 😜

Dog food is fine in minimal amounts, and as long as the pieces are small to prevent choking. Many wildlife rehabilitators will use dog food for hatchlings, and nestlings. If you begin feeding it frequently to a grown duck that excess protein will be converted to fat which in the long run would not be conducive to great health.
I've never heard of protien being converted to fat.

Cows are fed grains to fatten them up before slaughtering, just like hogs and other livestock.

Insulin produced due to high blood sugar caused by high carb diets is why so many people have visceral fat levels on their abdomen. High blood sugar is fatal, so your body converts it to fat.

Atkins proved quite some time ago that high protein consumption was the mechanism for cracking fat into ketones that your brain and muscles can use for fuel.

What other animals defy this insulin to fat metabolism and convert protein into fat?

Back
Top Bottom