Ducks and gardens

Thanks for your ideas, everyone. The Campbell and runner ducks are gorgeous!
I think I ve gathered that I'd have to keep ducks out of my veg. That means I could only have ducks that didn't fly over the fence. Net over the top just isn't practical.
Actually, I imagined ducks not only chomping nasty beasties in my garden but also swimming around in a little pond and having fluffy little ducklings in Spring...
Another thing I don't know is the size of pond necessary and how to organize night shelter.
We live in the south west of France, in the country, so there are lots of predators around. I lock my free ranging hens in their coop at night, but how could I manage ducks? I heard they didn't go home to roost, and I have these nightmarish visions of wading into their pond every night to catch them and lock them in a sort of shelter! And then where would they have their ducklings?
And what sort of ducks have ducklings but don't fly over fences?
(Don't worry, all you duck lovers out there, I'd give the ducklings away, my idea is the fun of watching them, not meat). :jumpy

Thanks for your ideas, everyone. The Campbell and runner ducks are gorgeous!
I think I ve gathered that I'd have to keep ducks out of my veg. That means I could only have ducks that didn't fly over the fence. Net over the top just isn't practical.
Actually, I imagined ducks not only chomping nasty beasties in my garden but also swimming around in a little pond and having fluffy little ducklings in Spring...
Another thing I don't know is the size of pond necessary and how to organize night shelter.
We live in the south west of France, in the country, so there are lots of predators around. I lock my free ranging hens in their coop at night, but how could I manage ducks? I heard they didn't go home to roost, and I have these nightmarish visions of wading into their pond every night to catch them and lock them in a sort of shelter! And then where would they have their ducklings?
And what sort of ducks have ducklings but don't fly over fences?
(Don't worry, all you duck lovers out there, I'd give the ducklings away, my idea is the fun of watching them, not meat).
jumpy.gif
Ducks don't require a pond, they just like having one. They'll be much happier if you can at least provide a small pool like what's called a kiddie pool in the US. Something like this-->http://smile.amazon.com/Ethical-Pet...8&qid=1413558662&sr=8-12&keywords=kiddie+pool would be fine. You'd just need to put ramps with hooks on one end to hook them to the pool or find some other method of stabilizing them so the ramps don't fall when they go up and down. You can also use some flat stones like paving stones inside and outside the pool to make steps so they can get in and out.

Even though ducks roost on the ground, they need a shelter the same as chickens. You might be able to use your existing one if you have enough space. Many people keep their ducks and chickens together, but I have no experience with that and I hear a mix of results from others. Some say it works out fine, some say the chickens peck at the ducks, and some say the ducks pick on the chickens. I imagine at least part of that would depend on the size of one vs the other, e.g., Pekin ducks might be a problem with Bantam chickens, but maybe all the birds being a similar size would be okay. I'm guessing ages at introduction might also present some challenges, like if you've had chickens for years and there are suddenly ducks living with them. I'm hoping some people with direct experience with this will answer that part of your question.

We don't have to corral our ducks into the pen at night. They just go there on their own when the sun starts to go down. I don't remember how we got ours to start doing that if we did anything at all. One thing you can do to teach them to go in is to lead them each night at the time you want them to go in with treats they like. This would be something like leaving a trail of slightly cooked frozen peas from where they are and up to the pen, and having a small bowl of treats, more peas or whatever, inside the pen. That will become a habit if you keep the time pretty consistent and don't try to do it in broad daylight.

As far as your concern about ducklings flying, there's nothing to worry about. Domestic ducklings don't fly because they can't. Small ducklings don't have feathers, and even the breeds that are flighted as adults don't start flying (or trying to, at least) until at least 6 weeks old. As long as you go with one of the breeds that can't fly well as an adult, you'll be fine.

My dog would love the pool too.! I hadn't thought of that, actually. I suppose he'd go wading round duck watching just as he goes chicken watching... If I knew how to post pictures, I'd show you all our dog and his friend the cockerel!
Seriously though, I'm imagining a small pond, the bottom of our hen coop for night shelter and our garden for wandering, the vegetables and pretty flowers being protected by a metre high fence. And of course a couple of ducks.
Now, where would the lady duck have her eggs, and, most importantly, where would she sit on her eggs and have her ducklings? And what does the male do during all this?

The hen would need a nest in the coop. There's no guarantee that she would set on the eggs since some don't. You probably wouldn't have to worry about that since you have chickens and one of those hens could set on the nest.

If you're getting only two ducks, you're going to have to make sure you get a male and a female if you want ducklings. Buying them what's called straight run means they aren't sexed, so there's a very good possibility that you'll end up with two of the same sex. You don't need to worry about what the drake would do. He will make sure she's fertilized and won't take no for an answer. Drakes practically live for mating, sometimes much to the chagrin of the females, but nature will take its course. Afterward, he'll just go back to doing the things drakes normally do. They don't really take an interest in the nesting.

Back
Top Bottom