Ducks and geese

Bella333

Chirping
10 Years
May 29, 2012
Hampstead, Maryland
We currently have four domestic geese. Our local animal shelter has a one year old duck that needs a home. We were thinking about getting it but are concerned that the geese will hurt it. Would one duck be okay with the four geese? Thanks, trying to help this guy out but don't want him hurt.

WelcometoBYC.gif
. I like many people run ducks and geese together. However, it really depends on the individual animal

We currently have four domestic geese. Our local animal shelter has a one year old duck that needs a home. We were thinking about getting it but are concerned that the geese will hurt it. Would one duck be okay with the four geese? Thanks, trying to help this guy out but don't want him hurt.
Maybe okay if you gradually let them get use to each other, in other words don't bring the duck home and put it in with the geese right off. set them up an area where they can see each other but no touching and see how that goes for a while. don't be in a rush. My gander and ducks do fine with each other except my drakes and gander don't care for each other. You might ought to look into getting another duck too in case it didn't work out then this duck would have a buddy, it would be nice if it had one anyway. You don't say what gender your geese are which can play a role in how well it goes too. AND
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the quick response. We have two males and two females. The type (if that matters) is a Toulouse, 2 Emdens, and a Buff. The Buff and one Emden is a male and the others females. The four take turns deciding who is going to be the outcast for the day, they have their moments but for the most part get along. So two ducks would be better? We are firm believers that every animal should have its own to hang with, but didn't really want ducks, just trying to help him out,

Thanks for the quick response. We have two males and two females. The type (if that matters) is a Toulouse, 2 Emdens, and a Buff. The Buff and one Emden is a male and the others females. The four take turns deciding who is going to be the outcast for the day, they have their moments but for the most part get along. So two ducks would be better? We are firm believers that every animal should have its own to hang with, but didn't really want ducks, just trying to help him out,
I can only vouch for the Embden because thats the breed I have. He gets along with the ducks, but has his favorites and others he doesn't care for never has hurt any of them except for the drake when they use to get into it. but all I can say is give it a try but be ready with a back up plan in case it doesn't work. What breed of duck and gender might be the best question? I would still get this duck a buddy of it's own though. They may even be able to run together but still hang with their own. know what I mean? If your not sure you even want ducks then maybe pass on this all together, it would be a shame for the duck to end up back at the shelter.

Last edited:
I have geese and ducks -- the ducks and geese were raised together but mostly they hang out with their own species. If all the other ducks are busy being broody or laying or something, the lone duck will hang out with the geese while waiting for her sisters to come back. Otherwise, they pretty much ignore each other. So, I'd think the lone duck would hang out with your geese -- hard to tell how they would take that. If they don't have goslings or nests, it would be a good time of year to try it out. You might even find you enjoy their funny antics -- they are the comedy relief of my flock. I'd think the introducing slowly plan would be a good one . . .

I have a duckling with two goslings. They are all about 8 weeks now. I also have a group of ducks that are 12 weeks. My goslings dont want to have anything to do with the older ducklings and vice versa. They do like "their" duckling though and it seems to be a pretty strong trio. The duckling also doesn't want to be with the older ducklings so I am hoping they will stay a strong group when everyone is grown. We will just have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom