Ducks and laying eggs

Jo4dunx

Chirping
Aug 22, 2020
Hi all I have seven ducks four are boys and three are girls . I don’t know much about ducks and hatching eggs . Two of the females looks pregnant ? Is this possible or does this not happen ? Could it be they r holding fertilised eggs inside them and they will make a nest and then lay ? How does it work with ducks and having ducklings ? If I don’t want loads of babies can I take some eggs away when laid ? Many thanks in advance for any help and advice

Ducks don't get pregnant. Your most likely noticing that their crops are full. Their crop is where their food goes after they eat. It is their chest. A female duck will lay an egg almost every day whether its fertilized or not. If a drake (male duck) mates with a female duck after a few days the eggs that she lays will be fertilized for up to a month. If the female duck has an intention to hatch them she will sit where she usually lays her eggs all day and night and once she lays enough eggs to have a clutch of them she will sit on them until they hatch then care for the ducklings after they hatch, this is called being broody.

Ah ok they are not pregnant then . They haven’t been laying for over as week now we have had them about the w was decks and got eggs every day at first . They ar around 12 months old but maybe they have been disrupted with moving homes ?

Back
Top Bottom