Ducks and pellets.

That is what I feed my ducks, chickens, and turkeys also. I supplement with grit and oyster shell.

yes, just make sure you offer grit and oyster shell in separate containers free choice to the birds.

They probably won't find oyster shell by themselves, though. I keep a dog dish supplied with crushed oyster shell out all the time, because I do NOT give my flock layer feed. I have chickens (including four roosters), ducks, geese and turkeys so the flock gets Nutrena All Flock pellets.

O.K so basically the only extra thing in the way of feed for my ducks is Oyster Grit. Just one last Novice question, Why would my poultry want to eat crushed up shells or do i have to coat the shells in something they like???

Oh, O.K, what's the difference.
Grit is just ground up rocks, usually granite. Male birds don't need the extra calcium found in oyster shell, so they will mainly eat the plain grit. Females who are laying must have additional calcium so they eat the oyster shell.

If you make both types available at all times, the birds figure it out on their own. :)

Grit is just ground up rocks, usually granite. Male birds don't need the extra calcium found in oyster shell, so they will mainly eat the plain grit. Females who are laying must have additional calcium so they eat the oyster shell.

If you make both types available at all times, the birds figure it out on their own. :)

Sounds good, I'll get some for them, so they just eat it straight i don't have to mix it with anything???

My birds are free range in the back yard so they are good on grit, but I just feed all flock food and provide oyster shell. My chicken likes the shells too.

Back
Top Bottom