Ducks and Ponds

megsmum

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 5, 2015
I have three Khaki Campbell ducks and make and two females. They have been here for just over a week now and seem to be settling in fine.

We have a fab little pond for them, while they settled in they took themselves to the top of the enclosure so I popped a bowl of water up there for them, I really want them to start using the pond so I do not have to keep filling the water bowl. Should I just remove the water bowl and hope they find the pond. or move the water bowl near the pond?

Thanks in advance

I have three Khaki Campbell ducks and make and two females. They have been here for just over a week now and seem to be settling in fine.

We have a fab little pond for them, while they settled in they took themselves to the top of the enclosure so I popped a bowl of water up there for them, I really want them to start using the pond so I do not have to keep filling the water bowl. Should I just remove the water bowl and hope they find the pond. or move the water bowl near the pond?

Thanks in advance
What do you mean by enclosure ? Are you wanting them to stay on the pond day and night. Day time would be nice but at night they can be picked off by a pred just as easy on the pond as on the shore. They really need to be in a secure house over night. Keep water for them at their enclosure and offer food there to so in the late afternoon they will come home to sleep. Ponds are nice and if not a long distance from their house they will probably eventually find it on their own. Then you want to make sure there is nothing under water that may feed on them Snapping turtle under water are a big pred of water fowl.

@megsmum Welcome to BYC

Many thanks. They free range during the day with my chooks y goats. We made the pond it has a filtration system down to the veg patch They come home to their house y night I just want to make sure they know where the water source is. Don't want them to dehydrate

welcome-byc.gif

As Miss Lydia says, if there are preds around they will shy away from the pond and you don't want to encourage them to use it if there is any sign of danger. They seem to know when something isn't right. Otherwise they should find it and readily use it.

Thanks. There are no predators in the pond. Tomorrow I will put the water bowl next to the pond see what happens

Many thanks. They free range during the day with my chooks y goats. We made the pond it has a filtration system down to the veg patch They come home to their house y night I just want to make sure they know where the water source is. Don't want them to dehydrate
How old are they? they may be too young to want to venture far yet. Glad to hear they have a home to stay in over night.

I think they are about three four months. The Drakecis fully marked. The other two not sure could be as much as six months. They come back to there house every night and sometimes during the day if it's windy or gold can be found in the gen house
1f61c.png
. Tomorrow I will move the existing bowl of water and see how they go

I think they are about three four months. The Drakecis fully marked. The other two not sure could be as much as six months. They come back to there house every night and sometimes during the day if it's windy or gold can be found in the gen house
1f61c.png
. Tomorrow I will move the existing bowl of water and see how they go
Young and in a new place it may take them a while to get their bearing but once they find the pond they'll love it. okay no preds in the pond what about around your property? lots of bushes and trees means preds can be hiding out ducks are prey and very wary of anything new and different.

Back
Top Bottom