Ducks at the Park..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

So there's this nice little park that we've been going to since forever. In the last year or so there's been a boom of ducks, domestic & wild, that have showed up. Also 2 geese that were OBVIOUSLY someones pets, They eat feed and they're just so sweet, they even let you pet 'em. What's even sadder is that the Embden Gander is REALLY OLD. I just wanna bring em home and im not even a goose person!

For the wild ones...there's a few new ones that look Mandarin, 2 new Loon pairs, 1 strange black one & a lone little wood duck hen that have been there for quite a while. [​IMG]

She's the cutest little thing there and i just feel so bad for her, not having a mate and all. I wish i could find her a drake or find her a home or something (but then that would be kinda mean too!). she's just so cute & makes me sad she's going to lay a clutch of eggs this year probably with no luck [​IMG] ... I have no idea what the black one is or if its a hen.

I am POSITIVE this park will need to find homes for some ducks, clear nests or take babies... Just sucks so many people dump their ducks at parks.

I got some pics of all the ducks & I will try to post them up soon.

ETA: There's also another park near me (in the same city) that I know has domestic ducks, Blue swedish & I think a Pekin at it. It's been a long time since i've been there though so i'm sure there's more now.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwwwwww. Sometimes its just so hard to watch animals, because we will always worry. [​IMG] [​IMG] Lets just hope that if these parks do find it necessary to remove them, that they do it humanely. Maybe ask them to post up a flyer at the park, and see if they can come up with some homes for some of them? [​IMG] I hope it all works out.
    Best of luck to you. [​IMG]

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Last year after TSC sold their ducklings, the park in town suddenly had an explosion of domestic ducks. I don't know if the town or predators took care of them but they were gone by the end of summer. It just saddens me that people dump them. When we lived in NY, I had no idea that Pekins weren't wild ducks. Our local park was filled with them every spring. In the fall we would see them at the local humane society (they wintered there). Every year there were new ducks at the park and I always thought they were wild ducks.

Now I know that the only wild ducks were the Muscovys and the Mallards. The Runners, Pekins, and Cayugas were domestics that had been dumped. Its so sad.

Laurie

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

Id be the crazy there in the middle of the night with a truck full of carriers and a net.

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Bleenie, I've only heard of this rescue in passing, but you may want to contact them about the domestic ducks and whatnot. They are on Vashon:
    http://www.baahaus.org/index.html

6. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Quote:Technically the muscovies aren't wild, they are feral. The only part of the US where they are native wild birds is southern Texas. They are either escaped/dumped ducks or their descendants.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

There's also Pasado's Safe Haven too. I think they're a=somewhere around Arlington? I will wait & see if the city does something but it just seems like a lot fo hens in one area. It's a big pond & a really nice big creek running along it & away but the domestics stay on the pond... where all the little kids & treats are at [​IMG]

8. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Technically the muscovies aren't wild, they are feral. The only part of the US where they are native wild birds is southern Texas. They are either escaped/dumped ducks or their descendants.

Your's is the popular and official government theory about Muscovies but the first Spanish explorers to the southern east coast of the new world report what have to be Muscovy already domesticated by native americans. The question then becomes were they local ducks that were domesticated or did they arrive through trading from what is now Mexico and/or Texas? There is now enough mixing with true feral muscovies that even DNA studies can not answer the question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by