ducks attacking each other

sforsythe10

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2020
Hi how’s it going we have had 2 ducks about a year old and just got 4 new ones and the older male would chase the new 4 ducks around which we thought was normal. Now the little ducks are about 8 weeks and we believe 3 are females and one is male. They have been fine for all 8 weeks and now the male is attacking one of the females and trying to seclude it. I’m not sure if he’s trying to mate and is rough on him or if he’s being mean. He’s ripping feathers out of his neck and biting mostly his head and neck. Let me know if this is normal or if i should separate them somehow. thanks:)

Hi how’s it going we have had 2 ducks about a year old and just got 4 new ones and the older male would chase the new 4 ducks around which we thought was normal. Now the little ducks are about 8 weeks and we believe 3 are females and one is male. They have been fine for all 8 weeks and now the male is attacking one of the females and trying to seclude it. I’m not sure if he’s trying to mate and is rough on him or if he’s being mean. He’s ripping feathers out of his neck and biting mostly his head and neck. Let me know if this is normal or if i should separate them somehow. thanks:)
are the older ducks male or femLe

I would separate them when you are not there to supervise. Your situation is different than ours, but our drake does choose one or two girls to pick on (not mate with) during the mating season. We have to manage him pretty closely. I'd be especially concerned with younger ducks.

I would separate them when you are not there to supervise. Your situation is different than ours, but our drake does choose one or two girls to pick on (not mate with) during the mating season. We have to manage him pretty closely. I'd be especially concerned with younger ducks.
thanks we will try to separate them we just built a big house with a big fenced in area so we can try and seperate them in there. if we seperate them then the duck will be the loner because the older male and younger male would chase it so it would have no one to hang with

I'm thinking the older Drake is either wanting to mate the young Hen or your confused and it's a young Drake he wants gone?
the older drake isn’t really the problem it’s the younger one. as of yesterday the younger drake keeps chasing one of the younger females and won’t leave it alone when the female comes near them. he’s a loner for now

Back
Top Bottom