Ducks Cant decide.

They can eat pretty much anything that chickens can. Bread is the only thing I can think of that ducks can't have, because it fills ducks up and has essential no nutritional value for them. If they don't free range, they will likely need grit. Even with free ranging, it is not a bad idea to have grit available to them. Otherwise, ducks pick up natural grit from the ground.

I have seen some people put their ducks on a leash. They seem pretty happy with it. Going on walks. Once they get used to a harness, I am sure they will enjoy exploring.

Are you leaning towards one breed over another?
Ok, i heard that certain foods like spinach dont allow them to get all the nutrients they need. Will normal chick grit be fine or will they need duck grit? I am not sure yet, i am actually going to talk with the town person and see if i could get away with 3. Then i could have one of each breed.

Ok, i heard that certain foods like spinach dont allow them to get all the nutrients they need. Will normal chick grit be fine or will they need duck grit? I am not sure yet, i am actually going to talk with the town person and see if i could get away with 3. Then i could have one of each breed.
Normal chicken grit is fine. That would be very exciting to get one of each. I am proponent for variety. I hope you will be able to get three!

As for spinach, treats should be given in moderation. Having a little bit of spinach every now and then would be fine for ducks.

Normal chicken grit is fine. That would be very exciting to get one of each. I am proponent for variety. I hope you will be able to get three!

As for spinach, treats should be given in moderation. Having a little bit of spinach every now and then would be fine for ducks.
Ok thanks! I do feed treats in moderation usually every 3 to 4 days, except i fed corn every night during our negative temps we had. Now i just have to wait until April.😐

I have blue Swedish , silver Swedish , pekin , khaki and pekin Cross with khaki
My pekin isn’t to vocal and her first 3 offspring daughters are very quiet. I hardly ever fear them but my youngest 4 offspring she had are very loud
My Swedish are my loudest of all my ducks and also my biggest. They are huge
My ducks started to lay at 4.5 months old but this can vary depending on the type of duck

I have blue Swedish , silver Swedish , pekin , khaki and pekin Cross with khaki
My pekin isn’t to vocal and her first 3 offspring daughters are very quiet. I hardly ever fear them but my youngest 4 offspring she had are very loud
My Swedish are my loudest of all my ducks and also my biggest. They are huge
My ducks started to lay at 4.5 months old but this can vary depending on the type of duck
Ok thank you.
Edit:!

Ok thanks! I do feed treats in moderation usually every 3 to 4 days, except i fed corn every night during our negative temps we had. Now i just have to wait until April.😐
Perfect! I feed corn on cold nights as well, or at least cold for my area. I heard your part of the country has been getting really bad weather.

It can really depend on the parent duck and drakes and how they have been raised... we have 3 Swedish Blue ducks, 2 call ducks, a pekin and a Buff Orpington drake. The quietest and noisiest of the ducks are the 2 calls that we got when they were about a year old.

2nd loudest is one of the Swedish, she is also proving to be the worst for nesting/being broody but not looking after the ducklings once they hatch.

3rd loudest is the pekin, who also nests and is very protective of her eggs (and potentially steals eggs to nest on) then the other 2 Swedish.

The Buff drake is extremely laid back, quiet, and other than chasing one of the Swedish a bit too often I would have a bunch of them! They are such a lovely sensitive breed. If you don't particularly want duck eggs I would actually consider whether you can separate the ducks and chickens and maybe get a bonded pair of drakes.

Perfect! I feed corn on cold nights as well, or at least cold for my area. I heard your part of the country has been getting really bad weather.
Yea 4 days before Christmas it started negative 45 with the winds. And negative 25 without the winds. I got away with 2 minor frostbites.

It can really depend on the parent duck and drakes and how they have been raised... we have 3 Swedish Blue ducks, 2 call ducks, a pekin and a Buff Orpington drake. The quietest and noisiest of the ducks are the 2 calls that we got when they were about a year old.

2nd loudest is one of the Swedish, she is also proving to be the worst for nesting/being broody but not looking after the ducklings once they hatch.

3rd loudest is the pekin, who also nests and is very protective of her eggs (and potentially steals eggs to nest on) then the other 2 Swedish.

The Buff drake is extremely laid back, quiet, and other than chasing one of the Swedish a bit too often I would have a bunch of them! They are such a lovely sensitive breed. If you don't particularly want duck eggs I would actually consider whether you can separate the ducks and chickens and maybe get a bonded pair of drakes.
I do want eggs. We cant have drakes in town because they consider it a business(its dumb). So there is definitely a difference in each duck. Lets hope the new neighbors dont mind🤣.

Back
Top Bottom