ducks & chickens got attacked

If she has a major wound she will need to be kept away from the adults and inside where she will have your attention to her wounds and away from flies. Why not check craigs list for a few friends for her in the mean time. Also a safe mirror can help so she can see another duckling even if it's her.

If she has a major wound she will need to be kept away from the adults and inside where she will have your attention to her wounds and away from flies. Why not check craigs list for a few friends for her in the mean time. Also a safe mirror can help so she can see another duckling even if it's her.
her wound isn’t too major but i do have plans of keeping her inside while we’re gone and at night. the mirror is a great idea thank you!

image.jpg
this is where big pete’s wound is. how do i clip the feathers? i’m trying to look for the wound itself but i don’t really see one

image.jpg
i’m almost wondering is the blood is just from maybe feathers getting ripped? i don’t really see like a sore or wound

Just start clipping until you can see the wound good enough to determine how deep it is. Believe me flies will get to any open wound no matter how small if it’s open they will lay eggs then you’ll have maggots which can be life threatening.

help!
last night we locked our 2 ducks 2 ducklings and 2 chicks up in their run (it was the ducklings and chicks second night they’ve slept outside and they’re about 7 weeks old.
this morning i came to let them out for the day (they free range) and when i looked in the run i was devastated. i saw one of my big ducks with blood all over her wing, the other big duck was fine, a very frightened duckling with a few wounds around her wings, a dead chick on the ground, and the other duckling and chickens were missing. there was a hole under the bar in the front of their run that (we suspect a raccoon) must’ve gotten in.
does anyone have any advice on predator proofing as well as care for the wounds?
Oh so sorry to heat that. I live in rural florida and don't think it's safe at night to lock them in a run alone . I lock mine in a coop inside a locked run. I'm pretty vigilant about locking them in at dusk (they also free range by day. ) But it happens. I would crate any wounded animals. I've used wound spray from tractor supply. They also have antibiotics in cold storage so ask. Even if they act ok, keep them crated. I've had chickens survive attacks, dont know much about ducks.

View attachment 2715263this is where big pete’s wound is. how do i clip the feathers? i’m trying to look for the wound itself but i don’t really see one
I'm very sorry for your losses.

I'm with the other posters about the hardware cloth, and skirt. Predators tend to come back when they find food available.

I have seen my vet trim my duck's feather with a cat nail trimmer. I don't know if that's the best way. What do you think @Miss Lydia?

Oh so sorry to heat that. I live in rural florida and don't think it's safe at night to lock them in a run alone . I lock mine in a coop inside a locked run. I'm pretty vigilant about locking them in at dusk (they also free range by day. ) But it happens. I would crate any wounded animals. I've used wound spray from tractor supply. They also have antibiotics in cold storage so ask. Even if they act ok, keep them crated. I've had chickens survive attacks, dont know much about ducks.
i have wound spray as well as antibiotics and pain medication for the ducks already. ive been spraying the wounds and wiping them down often. i’m going to start locking them in their coop at night as well as adding more stuff to make it extra secure. i’ll also be keeping them separated and safe

I'd just use scissors and clip far enough to get the feathers away from the wound. You don't want feathers getting stuck inside the wound when it's healing up. Clippers would work too.

Back
Top Bottom