Ducks, costs, etc...help :)

Llewin

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Auburn, WA
Hello! My family has decided to start stewarding laying ducks and I am trying to work out the financials.

Part of the reason for this is that we are choosing to go more organic/natural with our food and I'd like to save us from having to buy our organic eggs for 3 bucks a dozen.

Can someone help me out here with how much it costs per month to feed 4 or 5 heavy layers? I'm thinking probably khakis or runners...

Some background: we have a smallish back yard and I plan to give the ducks access to it for about 2 hours a day or so in the afternoon. We are renting so I'm not ok with giving them access all day as I'm worried that they will destroy the grass. I plan to build them a laying house and fenced are about 10x10 or so and the research I've done indicates that's more than enough room for them if they get to stretch their legs now and then (oh and we'll be buying a small kiddie pool so they have access to a 'pond'.

I myself am just starting out with ducks this year, so unfortunately I cannot help you.... but will also be waiting for some replies to your question. I was thinking khakis, sweedish, or runners..... we got runner as they were available at the local farm store and were too cute to pass up, plus my 2 1/2 year old daughter had been asking me for weeks! Anyway, all I can say is that my runners are super friendly, (not much for being picked up but from what I hear most ducks like to keep their feet on the ground) they do however come running to the edge of the brooder to be talked to! Good luck with your ducks whichever you choose!

If you will click on Index then scroll to the bottom, there is a duck forum thta may be able to give you more answers. I wish I could help, but I am new to ducks and chickens myself.

I have Pekins and they actually pay for themselves (with the money I make from their eggs), but mine free range during the day. The ducks don't really destroy the grass, places get a but more muddy than others because of the way they play in the water, just make sure you move the kiddie pool every few days. My only concern would be them going beyond the boundaries and into the neighbors yards. Since you are going to pen them I guess that takes care of the issue.

I'd say your five ducks will probably go through two bags of feed a month when they're fully grown, so about $20-$25 per month, depending on your brand.

I don't know how big your family is but you'd be getting about two dozen eggs/week. You could sell one dozen (if you don't use them yourself) to help pad the cost of your feed, you'd easily get $3-$6/dozen.

Back
Top Bottom