Ducks darts around in circles

welovechickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Round Rock
There's a Rouen we've been feeding down at our creek for several months, and he often behaves very strangely. He'll get out in the deeper water when we arrive and start darting around, as if he's afraid of something in the water. Sometimes he'll eat first and then do it, other times he does it and then seems too wary to eat.

What's going on?

A lot of times they will dart around in the water when they are excited. Do you feed him and give him treats? He could just be excited to see you.

Is it like this? Our ducks do it when they get excited! Usually when they have a “fresh pond” or after they eat a snack.

Maybe take a video next time?
I will take a video. My ducks would do the "fresh pond" dart, but his thing is different. He appears to be afraid.

A lot of times they will dart around in the water when they are excited. Do you feed him and give him treats? He could just be excited to see you.
We do feed him, but his behavior seems to be more a fear thing than excitement. Lately it has happened before he even eats. I'll take a video next time.

Can you bring home home so he has a secure place to live? living on his own is scary for a domesticated duck they have no means to get away from a predator. Even water really doesn't give them safety preds swim.
We thought about it, but I was never able to grab him. I had him eating out of my hand a few times, but he'd move if I moved. A couple wild ducks joined him at the creek a couple days ago, so I'm hoping he'll follow them to a better place.

My drakes did that when excited, playful or when I tried herding them somewhere and they didn't want to listen.

They did the same thing when I came near the pond as well. It was usually the imprinted drake. It is excitement, not fear, I'm certain. After doing a circle or two, he would jump out of the pond and start following me around.

Back
Top Bottom