Ducks don't notice electric wire?

arrowti

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Maine
Our ducks seem 'immune' to the zap of electric wires. I can't quite say what the voltage is but it's enough that the chickens screech and plop out a wet egg if they get zapped. The ducks, on the other hand, just step on one wire, brush under the second, and waddle on through like nothing happened. The area the birds are at neighbors the area the pigs were kept, and since we weren't worried about predators getting to the pigs, we simply put up electric wire, 3.5 feet total high of wires spaced about 3/4 inch apart (vertically).

Unfortunately the ducks won't let anything get in the way of them being troublemakers, and they stroll on through into the now vacant pig pen to play in all the water holes the pigs left.

Has anyone else noticed their ducks not being bothered by electricity? It seems weird. Maybe the oil in their feathers acts as some kind of 'blocker' (when they brush on it) and they don't have enough nerves in their feet to feel it?

Last edited:
My friend told me the exact thing....Hid Ducks and Geese go where they want...It is a true fact..:)...I have the electric fence but never have used it live...;)...I have Chicks too...:)

Mine is just to contain them and not really protect...:)

Back
Top Bottom