Ducks Fighting

PingTN

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 2, 2013
We have two female Pekin ducks that are 8 1/2 years old and have been together since they were 3 days old. Today, they started fighting nonstop! They have fought before but it has always been very brief, a couple of minutes at most. They were fine when I went out to feed them. I gave them fresh water in their "pools" and Paddle got in one of them. I came around the house and Ping was attacking Paddle and holding her head down. Every time I pushed them apart they would just jump each other again. One was as bad as the other. We finally separated them as we had to leave. Any ideas why? Thanks!

Sounds like they may be re-establishing the pecking order which can change over the years especially as they age and if ones starts to become weaker then the other.
Paddle is definitely the weaker one but has been for the last year. I hate to separate them as they have always been close buddies and won't get out of sight of each other when I let them out to graze.

You can't let them work it out? or do you think one would injure the other?
They were being very aggressive and at their age I was worried it would be too hard on one of them. I am going to put them back together this evening and see how it goes.

I would leave them together. Separating is only going to make it worse, since they will have to reestablish dominance when put back together. Ducks are social animals and need friends. It can be stressful, but just keep an eye on the two. If you see limping or signs of injury, then take action, but they will likely work it out and be just fine.

I agree with Miss Lydia and Weeg. You need to let them figure out the pecking order. I divide my Mucovy flock during mating season, but put them back together when egg laying stops. Then I let them all out together free ranging. The 8 girls squabbled off and on. The 2 drakes were much more aggressive with neck wrestling and wing beating. I watched for a few minutes, realized it was a power play and neither was actually getting hurt. I decided the best thing to do was walk away and not watch. It took a couple of days, and only a few broken feathers, and pecking order is restored and they now share the main coop and run.

It's also possible one girl is mounting the other possibly? I know one of my girls will mount one of the others in their pond and initially I thought they were fighting and was scared Willow was going to drown Beans. Later I noticed Beans will stretch her head out and 'invite' Willow on. It's a weird behavior, but no one has come to any harm from it, even if it did intially freak me out and cause me to think one of them was going to drown the other.

I also noticed the behavior started at around the 5 month mark and wondered if it might be hormone/coming of age related?

Back
Top Bottom