Ducks Getting Along

Jennadunnn

Hatching
Jun 1, 2021
So about three weeks ago I purchased 3 ducklings (pekin, khaki, and cayuga) The khaki sadly passed on the ride over so we were left with just the two. The khaki was supposed to be my brothers and he was very upset so we decided to get another khaki and since they can’t be shipped alone we had to get a welsh harlequin too. My pekin and cayuga are coming up on 2 weeks and the khaki and the welsh just arrived today. We ended up having to have them in separate brooders because the pekin and cayuga won’t stop chasing and pecking at the new babies. I guess my question is are they permanently not going to get along or is it just because they are so small. We are hoping to reintroduce them when the new babies are about 2 weeks old. When they get old enough to stay outside they will have to be housed together so I’m really just looking for some insight. Any advice on what to do?

I'm sorry to hear about the duckling who passed away. :(

I agree, they will probably get along later. All animals are individuals, so we can't predict with certainty what will happen. An environment where they can see but not touch each other will likely help the transition for when you reintroduce them to each other.

Back
Top Bottom