Ducks going out with chickens

DCrow22

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
At what age can you put ducks outside? And can you put them with chickens and at what age?

I let my ducks outside here in MI around the 6-8 week mark. Depending on the temperature and how feathered out they are. I've never had my ducks and chickens living together in the same pen, but they do free range together w/o problems. Maybe someone else here will have some advice on the living arrangements. Good luck! :)

I agree with 6-8 weeks for outside. Mine also free range with the chickens, but the ducks tend to stay around the water and my chickens tend more to the pasture. If you're talking about penning both together, I personally wouldn't do that. But not sure if that's what you meant.

My ducks and chickens live together and get along great. However, the drake can be a bit rough with the hens. Other than that, they're one big, happy, healthy flock.

I have 2 Pekins and a Blue Swedish that all share the large enclosure with my hens. They do well together. The problem that we had was keeping the chickens away from the temporary pond. Our duck enclosure will be complete soon and they will be separate.

For those of you who have drakes in with your chickens[hens] beware that hormonal drakes have been known to mate and kill [chicken] hens, they are not anatomically correct for mating.

thats good to know i have 2 females all my chicks and ducks are shes but that good advice as not to put drakes with chick hens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom