Ducks in Coop

akf93

Songster
Jun 22, 2022
NE Indiana
We are new to backyard flocks! We have 16 chickens and started with 2 ducks. The ducks used to follow the chickens into the coop at night. One of those ducks died and we got 4 more ducklings. They all free range together. We were hoping the older duck would teach the youngers to go into the coop at night, but instead, she has become quite happy hanging out with her new friends into the night. We have to corral them every night and usually have to catch a couple and force them into the coop. How can we teach them to go in? The older one is about 3.5 months old and the young ones are about 6 weeks. All of the ducks are able to get up the ramp and into the coop. They just don’t want to. 🙃 Another option is leaving them in the run at night. It is secure and they are able to take cover from weather under the coop. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:
We are new to backyard flocks! We have 16 chickens and started with 2 ducks. The ducks used to follow the chickens into the coop at night. One of those ducks died and we got 4 more ducklings. They all free range together. We were hoping the older duck would teach the youngers to go into the coop at night, but instead, she has become quite happy hanging out with her new friends into the night. We have to corral them every night and usually have to catch a couple and force them into the coop. How can we teach them to go in? The older one is about 3.5 months old and the young ones are about 6 weeks. All of the ducks are able to get up the ramp and into the coop. They just don’t want to. 🙃 Another option is leaving them in the run at night. It is secure and they are able to take cover from weather under the coop. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Our ducks won’t put themselves to bed. We also have to herd them in each night. If it were up to them they’d be out all night!

We’ve done this every night for years and it’s never been something they’ve “learned” to do on their own.

I don’t lock ours in the coop, as long as they’re in the run I let them be. Sometimes they sleep in the coop, sometimes they sleep in the run.

Mine will not put themselves to bed except once in a blue moon. Mine are very much use to the routine. They usually settle down late in the day near the water. I tell mine to go home and wave at them and they start heading over there. My Muscovy are the only ones I really need to herd in sometimes. I put mine all in a covered run first and then count them. I open the coop door and they head on in on their own. They just know the routine. Occasionally their is a few that take some extra cajoling. I know some throw treats into their coop to get them to go in, but I prefer not to add any food in there.

We usually corral ours. But partially because we want to get them put up before predators come out. On the off chance we do let it get “dark enough,” they put themselves up. They’re definitely harder to train in that regard than the chickens. They do go up easier for my husband than for me (but that’s bc he’ll pick them up and snuggle them if they don’t go in). Usually the dog will assist me from outside the fence/run.

My ducks will only go into the barn by themselves if the sun is about to go down or it just got dark. Otherwise they will go willingly if I walk up to them and say "ducky duckies" then they will go to the barn. I know it sounds weird, but everytime I would herd them to bed even as ducklings I would start by saying "ducky duckies" now they know that's their cue to go to bed and don't fight me on it. Your ducks are still very young to learn and will take awhile to be trained to go into the coop willingly. I personally would just let them stay in the run at night away from the chickens. I have ducks and chickens, but I put the ducks in a pen separate at night because they do not like the chickens. They don't hate them and aren't aggressive, but they definitely prefer to have their own chicken free place to sleep.

our previous flock we would sing “all ducks go to bed” and they’d go easily. We still have 2 ducks from the original flock but we have 4 babies we hatched out ad they didn’t learn that

They do go up easier for my husband than for me (but that’s bc he’ll pick them up and snuggle them if they don’t go in). Usually the dog will assist me from outside the fence/run.
We have threatened to cuddled some of ours. I have watched some of them start walking from the coop, hear cuddles, stop, think, and turn around 🤣. It works for us.

I just finished disassembling our duck shelter to reuse the materials. The ducks have always been terrified of it. The floor was spotless becuse they have never gone inside. They didn't even like to stand near it.

My ducks only get to free range to bathe in a smaller area than their large covered pen. They eat some of the grass that is left, lol and sometimes get lettuce that they love. When I want them to go back into their pen I have a large stick that I hit on different objects and tell them Back In The Pen and they all go. That works for me.

Back
Top Bottom