Ducks in Virginia Beach

fawnvb

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 1, 2012
This is a totaly stupid question, but are you allowed to have ducks in Virginia Beach? I have tried looking up information and calling people, some say ducks are poultry and are against the law but everything I have read states that chickens are poultry and give no mention to ducks. So what gives?

Not a stupid question. I bet if you call the city they will tell you it is illegal, and you probably could get cited for it. I just answered a similar question about quail. The Virginia Beach city code states that "fowl" are illegal in residential areas. In general, ducks are considered to be fowl, but there is no explicit definition in the city code. That being said, if you check with your neighbors and they are fine, then you should be fine. I know of a few families with ducks, and many, many with chickens. The only people who have been cited have 15 and 24 chickens respectively, everyone else has not had a problem.

BTW, we are currently working on an ordinance to legalize backyard hens. The first draft we got from the city's lawyers addressed hens only, but now I'm thinking that we will try to include quail and ducks. We could use your help though. Nobody else is asking about ducks right now, so your input would be useful. Check us out on FB or on our website http://www.facebook.com/4VirginiaBeachHens and http://www.4VirginiaBeachHens.com/

Sec. 5-545. - Fowl running at large.
hyperlink.png

Fowl may be kept only in those areas zoned for agricultural use. It shall be unlawful for any person to allow any fowl to run at large on any street or any unenclosed lot or ground within the city.

Thank you for your input. My neighbors are ok, they think they are cute. We keep them in our own yard and don't let them roam anywhere else. I will be glad to help, hopefully it will work.

Be careful. I live in VB and have owned chickens for over a year but my homeowners insurance randomly came out to inspect my house and sent me a email and letter stating that if I don't remove the farm animals they will cancel my policy. They said we are zoned for it in my area. I have one month to remove them. It upsets me so because my neighbors were all fine with it and I back up to a city utility shed where police always sit in the car doing paper work and they have never did anything about my three hens. They haven't passed the law yet and we are now in 2015.

My point is just be careful and make sure the companies have your permission to enter your property so you can remove them to a location they don't see them.

Be careful. I live in VB and have owned chickens for over a year but my homeowners insurance randomly came out to inspect my house and sent me a email and letter stating that if I don't remove the farm animals they will cancel my policy. They said we are zoned for it in my area. I have one month to remove them. It upsets me so because my neighbors were all fine with it and I back up to a city utility shed where police always sit in the car doing paper work and they have never did anything about my three hens. They haven't passed the law yet and we are now in 2015.

My point is just be careful and make sure the companies have your permission to enter your property so you can remove them to a location they don't see them.
I had 2 chickens at the oceanfront and eventually a neighbor dimed us out when the rooster started crowing. Luckily I had a friend in Richmond who took them until we moved to a farm in 2008. I loved having chickens but I would not like to see them run over in the street or hear cockfights at night. Some things are just not meant to be in metro areas.

Back
Top Bottom