Ducks indoors?!

Lamaremybabies

Crowing
Nov 2, 2015
New England
Help, I want to bring my pekins inside at night because it's supposed to be really cold at night now being winter but my mom's friends are telling her it is a horrible idea because their poop turns to a hard to clean dust?! So what I'm wondering is if it's true and what are pros and cons to bringing them inside at night?
I also invested in a duck diaper so when that comes in the mail I'll try that, do they really work????

Thanks for the help!

welcome-byc.gif

I get my very first ducklings in April so can't answer your question based on experience but there are some super helpful members on the duck forum that can:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

I believe there is also a thread about house ducks. You can type house ducks into the search box (upper left, under the logo) and probably find it.

Enjoy your ducks!

You can post at "people with house ducks." Ducks are a lot messier than chickens, for one they can perform "projectile pooping" so the can cover walls and ceilings if they feel like it. Some people do diaper them (indoors) but they have to be changed often, and I think you would quickly grow tired of doing so. Not to mention the ducks might put up quite a fuss.

Please also post on the "Duck thread." for information on overwintering them. I'm sure if they have a shelter to go into at night, they can manage to keep themselves warm. Just be sure predators cannot get to them.

I totally get why you want to bring the ducks indoors so why don't you go online and find a large cage or something like it to put them in. and clean up daily.i have a large flight cage in my living room with my birds they can be messy and my home is definatly not dirty or unclean I clean up after them everyday when im changing their water and feed bowls.its only a little elbow grease you need.

Back
Top Bottom