Ducks laying season.

houndit

There is no H or F in Orpington!
14 Years
Jul 13, 2008
Braymer Missouri
Hi,
I want to make a small list of when certain breeds will be laying and for how long they will be available. I have some ducks, but am not familiar with some breeds.
Please share your experience with how long Mallards are available.
What about Mandarins and wood ducks?
Some other breeds like Rouen. How long will they lay? I would like to link this information to the breeders list, so people can see when they can purchase certain breeds.
Thanks.

I found mallards to be more seasonal than others.
They lay mostly in the spring and they have periods of broodiness.

The ones I have had laid most of the year, slowing in winter.

Many bird species seem to be sensitive to day-length (amount of light), and their laying will taper off as light dwindles. My ducks' laying usually tapers off around now and resumes in late February or early March as daylength increases. Maybe if I kept more lighting in the barn they would keep laying, but I prefer to give them a break.

We have seen Welsh Hareliquins and our Anconas lay well into fall, and all winter if we let them. The key is having at least 14 hours of light. Like a chicken they need that light. We have lights on a timer in all of our duck houses that go on at 4 am

Last edited:
My 3 khaki campbells have been giving me 3 eggs a day all fall. I have really small LED nightlights that are on all night. They have been really good layers and I think that they will lay all winter.

My BEI and Muscovy ducks are laying now.

They are in the same building (different pen) than the chooks. I've got a light going on the hens, but I'm sure the ducks are benefitting from it too.

We ran those flexible rope LED holiday lights around the top of the pen fencing and have them on a timer so they are on all night long. There's also lights in the pond, not that I think that matters but yanno.
idunno.gif

We've got Silver & Black Swedes, Khaki Campbells, Chocolate Anconas, Magpies, Rouens and a Runner - they are all laying. The Runner doesn't lay as often as the Swedes and KCs.

Back
Top Bottom