Ducks-Nature's antidepressant

easttxchick

Lone Star Call Ducks
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
My DH has been in a pretty bad funk for the last few years due to the loss of both of our fathers, my aunt, my grandmother(who DH was very close to), our English Setter, Lexi who was his best hunting buddy, and in August of this year, we lost my brother in-law to a horrendous car accident(who was one of DHs best friends since childhood).
He wanders around our place, kind of like a lost soul anymore.
This past Saturday morning, I told him, "Get your clothes on and come outside and watch the ducks for a while with me". Took him about 30 minutes, but he came traipsing outside. I told him to park it in a lawn chair and proceeded to basically force him to hold Desi-my mallard/Call/whatever duck(he's one of my honorary Calls). Bless Desi's little ducky heart, he sat there like a little lap dog much to my husband's amazement. For the first time in a long time, DH had a big smile on his face and said, "I wonder how many people can sit outside in a lawnchair and hold a greenhead on their lap."
DH now HAS to be the one to man the water hose when we are cleaning pools/waterers because he found out the hose causes a ducky stampede and he LOVES it! Last night, I had to tell him, "Honey, you're flooding the pen" because the ducks were having such a good time playing in the hose sprayer. His response was, "I didn't do it, they did".
big_smile.png

My ducks have been a huge motivator for me when the days have seemed dark and I'm so glad that a little mixed-breed Call/mallard/whatever drake finally put a big smile on DHs face.
Duckluck-when you meet my DH this weekend, if you repeat this story-he will deny it and say it NEVER happened!
lol.png

I'd been home bound for two years due to social anxiety and depression. Ducks changed my life in a way no prescription ever could.

Good for you to make your husband take some duck medicine
smile.png
It is the best kind there is.

I totally love the ducks!
love.gif

Just my poultry in general is good for my soul but the ducks are funny. However, a chicken went ice skating yesterday and I almost bust a gut laughing at her so I guess almost any poultry can be funny.
lau.gif

Good for your DH that he got his smile back!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I'm so happy for your all-natural aid in helping bring light to your hubby's current dark state. I was in a bad way with depression in 2006 and it didn't look like it was going to end. In 2007 we got chickens (just 4). Needless to say, I've been feeling a tiny bit better each day ever since. (With help from anti-depressants and a good church.)

I wish I could see your ducks too. I know ducks are so much more comical than chickens...

BTW, here on Cape Cod a "greenhead" is a large horsefly with a VERY painful bite. We fight them off while sitting on our lawn chairs.

Last edited:
I've been to "the dark place" myself, Rainplace and Buff, so I know how hard it can be.
The birds in general, but especially my ducks have been a saving grace for me.
How can you not smile when you see the sheer joy of a duck playing in the rain, a nice, freshly cleaned pool or a nasty mud puddle for that matter?

Back
Top Bottom