Ducks not laying-HELP!

amberkohn

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Hello All-

I've been looking through some threads and surfing the web but just can't seem to find out why my ducks have stopped laying. Its been a couple of months! They are well fed with layer, well watered, and get plenty of light. there are no predators. I am getting very annoyed about this. I love my ducks but i am pouring money into them in feed and they are not producing. I have even tried egg enhancer.

What can I do?

Amber K

Amber,

Good morning.
frow.gif

What is the breed, how old are they, what feed are you using, are they free range? What shelter do they have and when are they in it? What hemisphere do you live in (north or south, in other words is it spring or fall where you are)?

Welcome to the Duck Forum!

Hello! They are a mix of breeds such as Muscovy, Cayuga, Peking, and Ancona. They have a safe shelter but are not completely free range because of predators. I live in New York State. It's been about six weeks since I got any eggs.

Day length is decreasing....ducks do not lay like chickens....they take a break...molt, and resume laying with increasing daylength.

Clint

Well I have lights up in the coop for them to keep a good light length. They haven't been laying for about 6-8 weeks. So since summer time!

I have noticed that the artificial lights don't seem to make much difference to my ducks' laying. I agree with Clint, we aren't likely to see an increase in egg production until Spring. ... The only other possibility I could think of in your case might be if your ducks were egg bound, but I really doubt that is the case, based upon what you wrote. Chances are they would be very ill by now if that were going on.

Thanks for your help folks!! I guess I will wait and see what spring brings!!!

Back
Top Bottom