Ducks Quacking

kitchenwdinah

Songster
5 Years
Jun 8, 2016
Hi,

My daughter has three Cayugas. They are about 13 weeks old. My daughter spends time with them everyday and they get plenty of time wandering around our fenced back yard. Whenever she goes in the house all three start quacking really loud. If they hear her voice and shes not outside they quack really loud. Sometimes it can go on and on. It seems like they are crying for her because if she goes out they stop. Is this something they do because they are still pretty young and they see her as their mom. Or is this something they will do for life. It's only her. If I go out and visit them for awhile and leave they are okay. Anyone else have this going on?

As sweet as it is to have duckling(s) adopt you as their mom, it also comes with the same responsibilities of a real duck mom: Duck moms in the wild are dedicated mothers who care and defend (as best as they can) their young 24x7. - Obviously we humans can't do that.
So the younglings must learn quickly to be on their own for extended periods of time. They will learn that quickly with a little help and distraction. I would put out some interesting food in the yard that keeps them busy for a longer time, for example ½ watermelon, ½ pumpkin or a large baked sweet potato (not steaming hot!). This is yummy for the ducks and it takes some time to eat and keeps them busy and distracted. Fill one of those pet-balls with meal worms and let them figure out how to get that out and eat it.
And of course they need cozy places to huddle together and feel safe so that they can rest and sleep without their mom.

As sweet as it is to have duckling(s) adopt you as their mom, it also comes with the same responsibilities of a real duck mom: Duck moms in the wild are dedicated mothers who care and defend (as best as they can) their young 24x7. - Obviously we humans can't do that.
So the younglings must learn quickly to be on their own for extended periods of time. They will learn that quickly with a little help and distraction. I would put out some interesting food in the yard that keeps them busy for a longer time, for example ½ watermelon, ½ pumpkin or a large baked sweet potato (not steaming hot!). This is yummy for the ducks and it takes some time to eat and keeps them busy and distracted. Fill one of those pet-balls with meal worms and let them figure out how to get that out and eat it.
And of course they need cozy places to huddle together and feel safe so that they can rest and sleep without their mom.
X2 :goodpost:

My two baby girl ducks think my two drakes are their moms! It is hilarious, but they are the only other ducks they have been around! Even if the boys go around the corner out of sight, the girls immediately start quacking loudly. I think the boys do it on purpose for a break! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom