Ducks stopped laying eggs !

Just ran into your post. What finally happened with the non-laying ducks. My Runner ducks did the same thing this year, they laid eggs up through about August 2016 and I haven't seen an egg from them since that point in time. My Naked Neck chickens quit laying for a while, but they have started again with good production. The Runners ducks have been eating well, they can free range if they wish, but they hang out mostly around the chicken/duck pen. I kind of suspect that the problem is the two months of 100° days (mostly) and it is just starting to cool down and almost total lack of anything green for them to eat. This area of California is turning into a desert.

I'm in San Francisco and the heat the last few days has been in the 90s. So far Peaches has continued to lay an egg each morning but it will be interesting to see if she continues and if this heat also continues...

90 degrees should be no problem. My hens started laying again when the temperature dropped into the high 90s, but no such luck with the Runner ducks. They seem to be happy, but have no greens to forage in this desert environment that we have in the Sierra Nevada foothills. I love my quackers, but roast duck is becoming a foreseeable option for this bird food consumers. No one that I can locate seems to have the answer to why egg laying ducks suddenly stop laying. It seems to me that it must be the heat or the lack of greens. I just purchased some wheat (for sprouting) and some milo for the same. I will post what happens in a week or so.

Okay, no roast duck. I love my quackers and wouldn't harm the brace. It is definitely getting cooler, 47° this morning with daytime temperature predicted to be in the 79s. Hopefully we will get some rain and things will start turning green again.

In Stories Gide to raising ducks he talks about the reasons why ducks stop laying for a season.
I would quote it for you but I just moved and it is still packed who knows where.

Back
Top Bottom