Ducks stopped laying eggs !

MamaChic21

Songster
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Jackson, NJ
I have 3 female ducks. They turned 1 year old this month. All winter long, they gave us sucha tasty eggs however, they stopped 2 months ago
hu.gif
. Does anyone know why ? Will they start laying eggs again ?

Quote:
LOL
gig.gif
. I did see their eggs few times in the chicken's nest. At the begining, if they layed their eggs in the chicken nest box, I wouldn't know the difference either, but since I know how their eggs looks like, I can tell them apart. The second day at their new run and coop, I found 1 egg on the floor (run's floor). I was first happy maybe they're back laying again but it was too small to be theirs
sad.png

My ducks did the same thing. They layed solid from last Sept/Oct up until August of this year and stopped when they molted. I haven't seen an egg since. It's very frustrating. Also, I have 12 new females hatched in April that should have started laying around Sept/Oce and never even started. Have you had any luck yet? There weren't any acorns this year around here either. I wonder if it's all connected.

-Jon

@ mamachic21.....looks like you have a Buff duck (tan one), a Magpie (black and white one), and a cayuga (all black irridescent sp?).

Just ran into your post. What finally happened with the non-laying ducks. My Runner ducks did the same thing this year, they laid eggs up through about August 2016 and I haven't seen an egg from them since that point in time. My Naked Neck chickens quit laying for a while, but they have started again with good production. The Runners ducks have been eating well, they can free range if they wish, but they hang out mostly around the chicken/duck pen. I kind of suspect that the problem is the two months of 100° days (mostly) and it is just starting to cool down and almost total lack of anything green for them to eat. This area of California is turning into a desert.

Back
Top Bottom