Ducks stopped laying eggs !

Hey. Did your ducks start laying again. After our ducks molted they stopped laying and it's been a couple of months now. Searching around this site to find some answers or advice. What ended up happening?

Kate

My ducks did the same thing. They layed solid from last Sept/Oct up until August of this year and stopped when they molted. I haven't seen an egg since. It's very frustrating. Also, I have 12 new females hatched in April that should have started laying around Sept/Oce and never even started. Have you had any luck yet? There weren't any acorns this year around here either. I wonder if it's all connected.

-Jon

@ mamachic21.....looks like you have a Buff duck (tan one), a Magpie (black and white one), and a cayuga (all black irridescent sp?).

After two weeks with a lamp at night they started up again and are now laying consistently!
smile.png
We think that after molting and the start of fall here there was not enough sunlight to get them going again on their own.

Mine were laying daily then about 1month or so after they got moved into their new coop they just stopped and we haven't seen any since! This was in August!

Quote:
I heard a report that its a bust year for acorns on the east 1/2 of the US on the news a couple of months ago, after bumper years, and they expected a big squirrel die off.

Apparently oak trees have a complicated cycle that has to do with weather over years. So I don't know that it would affect ducks, unless they ate acorns and are hungry.

Hi, my name is Sandie & I own chickens & ducks. My ducks have stopped laying for a couple of months too. I was wondering myself why? I have five ducks total (4 hens & 1 mallard) Two of them are Indian runner mix & the other three are Peking. Runners are suppose to lay pretty much all year around, so I am a little perplexed by the behavior myself.
caf.gif

I have two Welsh Harlequin hens who are a little over a year old, who have stopped laying over the past week. I have searched everywhere but haven't found any eggs hidden. I did start using apple cider vinegar in their water around that time, as well as stop separating the "ducklings" from the older birds (they're in a mixed flock with 5 older chickens and 4 younger ducks who haven't started laying yet, as well as a young drake, all who hatched in May). It's very frustrating!

Back
Top Bottom