Ducks stopped laying eggs !

We have the same problem we have 6 runner ducks and 4 peking they will be 2 years old in march we would get 4 or 5 eggs every day then in November they all stoped laying it is allmost February and not one egg. Does any one know if they will start laying agian. Our chickens slowed down laying but never stoped and have started laying more all ready.
I will give the ducks 2 more months
Then they will take a freezer nap.

I can understand your frustration - I have 15+ Muscovy ducks of laying age and just got my first egg today from a duck hatched last spring.
celebrate.gif

I also have a Runner and she's not laying (she's raising her nine 3-month-old ducklings). The days may not be long enough yet to trigger your ducks' laying yet - my guess is that at only 2 years old, they should resume fairly soon. Here's some info. from Metzer Farms about maximizing egg production that may be helpful: http://www.metzerfarms.com/MaximizingEggProduction.cfm.

I think you just need to relax and your girl will start laying eggs again when it gets warm out. My female stopped for about 5 months but now every a.m. she has an egg in her house. Do not feel anxious but be calm and relaxed and she will produce!

By the way...taking her eggs in the morning will not cause her to stop laying. It has to do with the outdoor temperature. Some ducks stop and then start again when it gets cold and perhaps when it gets very warm as well.

I heard somewhere that over feeding poultry can affect their egg laying ability. I have tried to feed all my birds well, but maybe in doing so I have made them, fat and complacent birds that have no incentive to reproduce. They were laying well in a different climate, so I think that has a lot to do with it. I have provided them with more than enough opportunities to replenish the moisture they may have lost by the low humidity. I gave them a huge wading pool, and large containers of water all over my yard (they free range). but they also eat a lot. Regardless of how much I fed them 30 minutes ago they will always ravenously chow down anything I put out in the feeder, and steal food from the chickens.

Ok, i will respond but i don,t know much. I just asked the same question to my friend i bought call ducks from. My original calls i got last summer were laying eggs in Feb. and then stopped. She only layed six eggs, but she was young. She is a year this month and she is spending alot of time mating and hanging out in a box in the coop. She is acting like she's getting ready to lay. My friend said she will start again. So keep your fingers crossed and it should happen. I guess they take a break. What kind of ducks do you have? Angie.

Thank you for responding
smile.png

I have 1 black runner, I know that for sure but the other 2 I don't know.
1 is brown
73058_dsc02673.jpg

And the 3rd one is black and white.
73058_dsc02698.jpg

I use to free range them and I've searched everywhere possible to see if they did lay their egg, but I couldn't find it. One time for few days, I couldn't see their eggs and it was in the winter. And couple of days later I saw their eggs bared under a hay
big_smile.png
. I felt like a little kid, I was so happy. But now they moved into their new run and coop and they are not free ranging. I certainly hope they will lay more eggs. I prefer duck eggs anyday
smile.png

I wish you luck too, hope your ducks will lay soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom