Ducks stopped laying eggs !

I share your pain I have 16 ducks no eggs since August. I'm in the Rockies so can't blame the heat. I have even put a light on to keep the days a little longer. I know they molted in August but they are done. I have 1 1/2 year old campbell ducks-they were laying machines until molt...it's been over 2 months now. I also have younger ducks from June hatches that I hope come on board soon.

If anyone has some great ideas on bringing ducks back into lay please share!

I'm having the same problem. Out of the four layers, I am getting maybe one or two eggs a week. This was the heaviest molt I have ever seen. Our weather is changing here in Washington state so I hope they will get started again. This is about normal for January. I also have young ducks, about 3 months old, that may kick in before too long.

We have the same problem we have 6 runner ducks and 4 peking they will be 2 years old in march we would get 4 or 5 eggs every day then in November they all stoped laying it is allmost February and not one egg. Does any one know if they will start laying agian. Our chickens slowed down laying but never stoped and have started laying more all ready.
I will give the ducks 2 more months
Then they will take a freezer nap.

We have the same problem we have 6 runner ducks and 4 peking they will be 2 years old in march we would get 4 or 5 eggs every day then in November they all stoped laying it is allmost February and not one egg. Does any one know if they will start laying agian. Our chickens slowed down laying but never stoped and have started laying more all ready.
I will give the ducks 2 more months
Then they will take a freezer nap.

I can understand your frustration - I have 15+ Muscovy ducks of laying age and just got my first egg today from a duck hatched last spring.
celebrate.gif

I also have a Runner and she's not laying (she's raising her nine 3-month-old ducklings). The days may not be long enough yet to trigger your ducks' laying yet - my guess is that at only 2 years old, they should resume fairly soon. Here's some info. from Metzer Farms about maximizing egg production that may be helpful: http://www.metzerfarms.com/MaximizingEggProduction.cfm.

I have four Runner ducks with three of them being females. One of the girls started laying an egg almost daily about a month ago. Still waiting for the other two to join in. My Naked Neck chickens have kicked in with three ones that hatched out this past summer laying on almost a daily basis. Out of ten hens, I am getting an average of about six eggs per day. Extreme rain and cold nights tend to control the process.

I have the same problem with my Ancona ducks. They started laying around Christmas time, and laid an egg every day up until about a month ago and now, nothing. They were molting for awhile and leaving feathers in their pool and their exercise pen but now the feathers are back in nice a thick and they have all gained weight, especially the drake who was looking kind of scrawny in the beginning. They are all as big as small geese, and very healthy looking plumage. I guess its all that high protein food I give them. They also refuse to eat any 'treats' I give them like meal worms and peas. My chickens are the same way, disinterested in anything but the 30% protein feed I give them.Maybe I'm making it too easy for them? I don't want to starve them, but I think they should have a more balanced diet. My call ducks also stopped laying 2 days ago. Its been warmer than usual and the rain has finally stopped. Is that why? We were getting kind of used to having fresh duck eggs for breakfast, and omlettes for dinner.

I was wondering the same as well, my duck turned 6 months in early June and started laying eggs. She laid one a day and gave me almost two dozen and then stopped laying. Was wondering if the fact I am taking her eggs that she may be behaving this way? Or some other reason?

I think you just need to relax and your girl will start laying eggs again when it gets warm out. My female stopped for about 5 months but now every a.m. she has an egg in her house. Do not feel anxious but be calm and relaxed and she will produce!

By the way...taking her eggs in the morning will not cause her to stop laying. It has to do with the outdoor temperature. Some ducks stop and then start again when it gets cold and perhaps when it gets very warm as well.

Back
Top Bottom