Ducks-To close them in at night or not?

Sparrow

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
I am getting ready to move my first batch of ducks and my 2 White Chinese Geese outside now. They are about 8 weeks old. I have built a large run for them out of 48'' Welded Wire fencing and the top is completely covered with hard plastic poultry netting. The bottom 2 feet of fencing also has 2' tall chicken wire around the entire perimeter. They have a large lean-to shelter in their run that they will all be able to fit into(12 ducks total and 2 geese) when they are all grown and living outside. The entire house and run is inside my backyard, which is enclosed with 5' tall chain link.

I live in Kansas, in a fairly rural area. We used to have raccoons(not sure if we still since the neighbor moved in), still have possums, cats, hawks and owls.

I used the netting to cover the run so that the bird-of-prey threat is eliminated, but I'm just wondering if I need to shut my babies in their lean-to at night or not. Their run will always be enclosed, but nighttime worries me. Do you think their run sounds secure enough to let them go in and out of their shelter freely all night? Or should I close them in? I don't want to make them unhappy, but I really don't want to jeopardize their safety.

Mine are trained to "go to bed". I seldom lose ducks. Unless they have water to be on during the night for protection, I'd lock them up. Mine are usually in their house waiting for me to close the door.

Back
Top Bottom