TheGreenManFarm

Chirping
Mar 8, 2018
Ok, so I moved my 7 ducks & 42 chickens into the same house at Halloween. I built a row of nesting boxes on one wall, including a row along the floor because hey, why waste the space? Turns out the chickens LOVE the floor-corner nesting box... some days to the exclusion of all the others haha. I've pulled out up to 13 eggs from that single box some days! But to the point, my ducks have busted down the wall separating the other two floor nesting boxes and made themselves one big nesting box, and all but one of them uses that now. They don't lay anywhere else in their house (and the special girl waits until about 09:30 to lay outside in the snow haha) now except that enlarged box!

Granted, I have less experience with ducks than with chickens, but... has anyone else had the humor of ducks busting down a nesting box wall to waddle themselves in and use that? :frow

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 10.26.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 10.26.16 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
Granted, I have less experience with ducks than with chickens, but... has anyone else had the humor of ducks busting down a nesting box wall to waddle themselves in and use that?
My understanding is that people have the hardest time getting their ducks to use a nest and most just lay their eggs anywhere. :confused:

I think you scored! :woot

Cuties. :love

I've build a cozy bed for my duckies, solid wood walls on three sides, a wide entrance on the fourth side which faces into the direction from where the wind rarely blows and filled it with crispy dry leaves, straw and hay, a foot deep.
What are my ducks doing?
They lay down on the poop covered wooden floor of their platform to sleep…
Only when the weather is really, really, really bad, like horizontal rain they go into their cozy bed.

I've build a cozy bed for my duckies, solid wood walls on three sides, a wide entrance on the fourth side which faces into the direction from where the wind rarely blows and filled it with crispy dry leaves, straw and hay, a foot deep.
What are my ducks doing?
They lay down on the poop covered wooden floor of their platform to sleep…
Only when the weather is really, really, really bad, like horizontal rain they go into their cozy bed.

Yeah, my ducks only get tricked into going into their house at dusk by bringing out a visible night feeding bucket haha. No matter how wet, wild or cold the weather they otherwise try to stay out all night. If it weren't for the owls and foxes I'd let them!

Back
Top Bottom