Ducks water

Let's have all who think it's okay to leave their pets alone for days & days do a little experiment and let us know the results.

Get yourself a bowl of your favorite cereal. Don't put milk on it. Just fill the bowl. Now get another bowl and fill it full of water.

Put both bowls outside.

Now, eat and drink freely from these two bowls for the next 4 days. You can have nothing else to eat or drink. Please let me know how that works out for you.

Our pets are living, breathing beings. Why do people believe that it's okay to neglect them?

I guess I see this as more like farm animals and animals not just pets. As someone who camps a bowl of dry food and water--in appropriate amounts...dosn't sound bad to me. Given my ducks eat nothing but what they forge and dry food and drink nothing but water it's even more ok.

I'm not advocating doing it on a regular basis, or without the right set up. the OP clearly has some issues. But leaving animals in a safe pen with plenty of water and food unattended for a couple of days won't kill them, nor for healthy animals will it even cause harm. For generations a trip into town could be 2 days...and animals somehow made it for generations. With our better technology, food and understanding we can make them a lot more comfortable during human absence. It happens.

I did have someone check on my ducks when I was away---but it was once a day...which probably falls far short of what most here would do. Then again, I see them as animals on a micro-farm, not like my dog. (although I've left her for 24 hours, too, as in the winter she truly hibernates).

@Debs Flock , you cannot give a blanket answer for 100 different situations. Are you telling me that you are home all day, every day, 365 days a year, 24 hours a day? Congratulations I guess. I have a family, and we go camping once a month, and on vacations 2-3 times a year. Part of the reasons I chose ducks for pets, is because they are very self reliant. I have raised them to be self reliant. I took them foraging in my yard every day when they were ducklings, to prepare them for when they would be outside full time. You cannot compare a ducks and humans diets. Period. If you have a proper set up for your ducks, they will have free access to clean water, bugs, fresh plants and weeds, etc. I was gone for 4 days. Not only were they well taken care of, they were very happy! I let my neighbors on all three sides know I was leaving, and asked if they could check on them throughout the day to make sure they were ok. I assigned one neighbor the task of putting them to bed every night, letting them out every morning, and gathering their eggs. Other than that, they were alone to forage on my garden, swim in the pond, and do what ducks do. Do you think I am a neglectful owner? I am truly curious.

Last edited:
That's the problem here duck213 or 4 ducks?? wants to go away 4 days and no one will be checking on their ducks. I couldn't go off 4 days and not have someone check on my animals whether it's dogs, cats or ducks. things can happen buckets get dumped out food get washed away in heavy rain. If your going to be responsible for another's life then these things need to be addressed.

Let's have all who think it's okay to leave their pets alone for days & days do a little experiment and let us know the results.

Get yourself a bowl of your favorite cereal.  Don't put milk on it.  Just fill the bowl.  Now get another bowl and fill it full of water.

Put both bowls outside.

Now, eat and drink freely from these two bowls for the next 4 days.  You can have nothing else to eat or drink.  Please let me know how that works out for you.

Our pets are living, breathing beings.  Why do people believe that it's okay to neglect them?
Thanks for telling me how to cake care of my ducks but for your information we are going on vacation and I DID find someone to take care of them. It's only 4 days

That's the problem here duck213 or 4 ducks?? wants to go away 4 days and no one will be checking on their ducks. I couldn't go off 4 days and not have someone check on my animals whether it's dogs, cats or ducks. things can happen buckets get dumped out food get washed away in heavy rain. If your going to be responsible for another's life then these things need to be addressed. I FOUND SOMEONE OK???!!!

Everyone on here thinks I'm abandoning my ducks!!!!!!
1f602.png
pathetic

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom