Ducks water

4ducks, your 2 ducks can't have their own water if you're keeping them together like you said in a prior post. If they're together, they don't know what water belongs to which of them. If they're not together, then they're probably both very sad because ducks are very social animals. Give them a big bunch of water if you're going away for that long and nobody can come over to do it. You don't need an elaborate setup for that. I've used things like litter pans for temporary water sources, just the ones you can pick up at a store for a couple of dollars each.
My ducks are only separated by chicken wire. They can still see eachother perfectly

Will my ducks be ok if they don't have clean water for 4 days even if it's in the shade? I don't know if I can find someone to take care of them. I heard bacteria and stuff can be in it but it's still in the shade. Will they be ok or not?

Yes you will need to have FRESH water every day, 1 1/2 at the least.. It will end up getting your ducks sick.. You don't want to have any problems.. Having pet's is like having kid's.. If something did happen to your featherd babies, you would feel awful.. Even if you hire someone 2x you would be better off!!

One of the reasons I ask, I just went out of town for a week.  The ducks were locked in their house every night by my neighbor.  It took him less than 5 minutes a day to pop in once at night, and once in the morning to gather eggs and let them out.  They have a weeks supply of fresh water in their house (I use a nipple system inside, so there are no water messes in their coop) and plenty of fresh food, it is in a dispenser that holds about 5 days worth at a time, hanging so they can't poop in it.  I also have a pond on my property, so they have more than enough water for every day use.  It is about 3,000 gallons, and is filtered and recycled all day.  With my set up, I can safely go out of town for days at a time, and not worry about hunger, clean water or predators.  I couldn't have done it without the help of my neighbor though, who was happy to do it in exchange for fresh eggs every day ;)

I would love to see your set up, sounds awesome !! If you have not already posted, could you post on the duck thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/737292/the-duck-thread/8110#post_15537614

My ducks are locked up and there couldn't be a way predators could get to them. The thing I'm most concerned about is bacteria. I can give them more than enough water though

I would think you'd be more concerned about what you posted on this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1001469/duck-always-laying-down/10#post_15536881

leaving for 4 days probably isn't a good idea and we're trying to get to the bottom of the issue, but need some questions answered.

I'm just getting the ducks used to eachother and I wouldn't want anything to happen while I was gone because one duck is 15 months and one is about 3 months.

Don't leave animals unattended. Period. It's unsafe. And not getting fresh water, for a water bird. Not ok.

Not necessary. And remember these are domesticated animals. My ducks have a run a clearing in the woods with a baby pool inground pond, it's easily 20x20 feet. I had someone come over and check and feed them when I was gone for 3 days. They were fine. If I was a farmer, this is about how much attention I could give waterfoul on a daily basis. One shouldn't feel bad for that.

That said the OP is dealing with other issues she's not being clear about, which is a whole different story.

Let's have all who think it's okay to leave their pets alone for days & days do a little experiment and let us know the results.

Get yourself a bowl of your favorite cereal. Don't put milk on it. Just fill the bowl. Now get another bowl and fill it full of water.

Put both bowls outside.

Now, eat and drink freely from these two bowls for the next 4 days. You can have nothing else to eat or drink. Please let me know how that works out for you.

Our pets are living, breathing beings. Why do people believe that it's okay to neglect them?

Back
Top Bottom