Ducks with special Needs

Pics
This Stella has you can see she is very small. Around 6 months she near not her weight.

Attachments

• 20210909_082333.jpg
    20210909_082333.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi - I’m looking forward advice about our pekin with a disabled leg. She is only able to walk on 1 leg while using her angle joint as a crutch fir the other leg. She was born like this. We tried everything to fix it when she was young but nothing worked. Anyway, took her to the vet and they said it’s better not to amputate the leg because at least she has something to walk on.
I’m worried about winter and the snow. She seems to have trouble with wet leaves, straw and shavings in the coop and gets stuck in one spot.
I would get her a wheelchair but I am working seeing if she will only be able to get off the leg and push the chair with 1 foot. Any advice/inspi? Thanks!

From your description, it sounds like she may be walking on one of her hocks. Did your vet notice any issues from the pressure being placed on the hock (abrasions, etc.?). Pekins are a heavy breed, so I'd be concerned about wear and tear on the hock from that kind of use. And how old is your duck now?

If she's having a traction problem, perhaps some kind of shoe with a grippy sole would help her get around on the surfaces where she's getting stuck. There are shoes that are typically used to protect ducks' feet while they recover from bumblefoot, but I imagine they could work for other applications, too. Search on "duck shoes" and a bunch of threads will come up. I don't have personal experience with duck shoes, so hopefully another BYCer who has used them will chime in or have other helpful suggestions.

Best wishes for your special needs girl.

What your describing sounds like may be painful and will eventually cause problems with her hock area if it hasn't already. I would think even if she could only be off her legs for short periods of time a sling or wheelchair might be best for her just to give her injured leg a rest from wear and tear. Many on here have made slings for their ducks using PVC and towels or other material.
I have duck shoes for my duck who had bumble foot, maybe check them out.
https://www.google.com/search?channel=cus5&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=crazy+k+farm has duck shoes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-sling-a-ducks-leg.1450307/

Last edited:
Someone just linked this thread in one that I had searched for. I think it's time we bring this entire thread back because I need help and BADLY!!! My one guy is FILTHY. We got two days of rain (that was desperately needed as we are in severe extreme drought conditions) however he is now covered in mud and can't clean himself. I need to bathe him but have no idea what to do. I don't want to strip any oils he does have but those seem to be depleting as well. I do try to put him in the pool on occasion. Especially if he is filthy or it's quite hot. And I notice he slowly, very slowly starts to sink :( I don't know what to do for this poor guy but my husband is starting to ask about timelines for us to get a solution or start talking about his quality of life.

Last night he got his head stuck in the gating I use so today is wheelchair building day!

Back
Top Bottom