Ducks won't come out!

rlmitchell

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Maine
Hi everyone:

I haven't posted in a while. My 4 Blue Swedish Ducks are around 14 weeks old now.

They have a large (10x10) house that they go into at night. During the day, they come outside and roam around in their large pen with good-sized pond. Unfortunately, they WILL NOT come out of their house today! VERY unusual for them. They are usually waiting by the door in the morning and come streaming out as soon as it opens!

Anyone know what could be going on? The only changes we have noticed with them recently is that they HAVE been mating for the past week or so. Could that have anything to do with it? VERY strange behavior for these guys who usually love swimming in their pond and we usually can't get them to go IN their house!

HELP!

Rhonda

Hi everyone:

I haven't posted in a while. My 4 Blue Swedish Ducks are around 14 weeks old now.

They have a large (10x10) house that they go into at night. During the day, they come outside and roam around in their large pen with good-sized pond. Unfortunately, they WILL NOT come out of their house today! VERY unusual for them. They are usually waiting by the door in the morning and come streaming out as soon as it opens!

Anyone know what could be going on? The only changes we have noticed with them recently is that they HAVE been mating for the past week or so. Could that have anything to do with it? VERY strange behavior for these guys who usually love swimming in their pond and we usually can't get them to go IN their house!

HELP!

Rhonda
How about foot prints around the pen area? maybe a predator has left a calling card in the form of prints, poop or urine. and they know it and it has scared them. That's the only thing I can think of other than they are sick.

Thanks for the reply. I don't see any strange prints or poo or anything, BUT, my neighbor has chickens and told me that a fox has been prowling around at night, so perhaps what you're saying makes all the sense in the world!

I hope they aren't sick. They don't seem to be. They still love their food and water and act the same otherwise.

A fox in the area will definitely put them on edge, there are at the base, prey animals and that drive is strong. They have no idea whether a pred can get in the pen or not, instincts will alert them to dangers, keep an eye and don't force them to come out, they will again when they feel safe too. I am forever following the instincts of my animals and watching for behaviour that is off or new, they hear, feel and know far more than I.

I'm going to do as you say and not force the issue. Will keep an eye out for that fox. Thanks so much for your help. I have a 1-track mind and had my mind set that it must be something to do with their recent mating behaviors! Now I bet it's not!

I'm going to do as you say and not force the issue. Will keep an eye out for that fox. Thanks so much for your help. I have a 1-track mind and had my mind set that it must be something to do with their recent mating behaviors! Now I bet it's not!
I think your on to something with the fox. I keep a game camera on at night that way if anything is out of the norm I can at least rule out a predator. What GQ said is true our ducks/animals know more than we about danger being around. Hope they calm down soon. and check your pen and coop over real good even if you think they are safe it never hurts to double check.

I am having a similar problem. I had to remove a tarp from the top of my pen to dry it out after massive rains here in east tx. Now my ducks won't come out into the pen and won't even come for food or water. I'm not sure what to do, so if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate input. How long should it take them to adapt to the new changes, because we are also looking at moving them into a much larger pen. Thanks for any advice.

Back
Top Bottom