Ducks wont go in my pond

My ducks were kept in a coop until their oil glands developed. I wouldn't even let them out of the coop to forage. We have Hawks and owls all over the place . So when it came time for them to be introduced to the pond they didn't want anything to do with it. That is until they saw another duck in the water. Could you put cracked corn or some other treat in the shallow water and some leading into the water. Get them foraging in the waters edge and they'll go in.

I wanted ducks for my backyard pond, as well, and did a bit of research before getting them. Mallards can fly away, so that alone ruled them out for me. I wanted friendly, foraging ducks that would warm up to people. I opted for two Pekins (one turned out to be White and Fawn Indian Runner) and two Blue Swedish, and a few days later adopted my nephew's Khaki Campbell (assuming that's the actual breed he is-currently in discussion). I've been very happy with all of them!

The Blue Swedish (Tuffy and DA) and KC (Nuck) will fly a couple of feet at a time but not nearly enough to simply fly away. They're all only about three months old so time will tell their full flying potential but based on research, that's about as much as they will.

They were super hesitant to go into my pond. I was thinking along the lines of threat in the water as suggested in previous reply. However, one day a neighbor's dog got into my back yard and, fleeing for their lives, they escaped into the pond. Since then, they LOVE it. In fact, when I let them out of their pen every morning, they bypass fresh food and head straight to pond. They were about 6 weeks old before they went in. I actually kept them away from it for a long time because we do have bull frogs in that and they WILL eat small ducklings! I didn't believe it so my nephew proved it to me in a rather sad way (no duckling involved but still sad...). Snapping turtles are a threat, but to the little ones, so are bull frogs.

Here they are coming out of the pond when I call them!

Speaking of calling them, it's about time for me to put them up for the night. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Oh, one thing I meant to add, I hate cooping mine up at night, but it's for their safety. Even ducks that can fly can become victims of predators. Think of the old saying "sitting duck." That is a very valid term. Here's a photo of my pen. It's got 1/4" hardware cloth which was fairly expensive, but otherwise, it wasn't too expensive. I made it myself using mainly inexpensive fencing pickets. They seem comfortable enough. They actually sleep in the little "pond" I have in there. I know it's hard to coop them up, but it's even more heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet!

I wish mine would do that! I have to force them out of the pen and to the water. They sit on the very edge just waiting to get back up to the pen.
We have an acre pond with a floating duck house and large dock. I was excited to get ducks. Should have researched more I guess.

That's a beautiful photo, but you definitely need ducks in there!

Keeping in mind that I have no idea what I'm talking about, maybe start your new flock with day old ducklings-whichever you decide to go with, maybe a mix like I have. Follow duckling protocol as far as keeping them away from the other adult ducks while they're little, talking to them, all that kind of stuff. Gradually let them have some "outside" time but don't force the pond issue, at least not at first. As they get older, spend time with them near the pond but, once again, not forcing the issue. I would kinda splash my hand around it at first. Regardless of it being a pond or a Rubbermaid container filled with water, they always seemed more confident in it if I splashed around in it first. I'm sure it has to do with imprinting and following the "mommy duck." They're like most little ones and just need reassurance. I don't know if y'all swim in the pond or have a paddle boat or anything, but if you did, that would be an awesome way to help them take that initial leap into it. If not, just sit with them along the bank with the most assessable access point. Even now, mine like to enter where the water is closest to grass or the sandy area where the creek flows into it. Maybe with them seeing you at ease around it, they'll become comfortable, even if it's just simply getting a quick drink from it. It might be a slow process, but given ducks innate attraction to water, as long as nothing traumatizes them regarding the water, I can't see them resisting it for too long. It sounds like your adult ducks have been through quite a bit of trauma. It's possible they just feel better in the company of more birds. Once your new additions are old enough, introduce the older ones to them and hopefully there truly will be comfort in numbers and they'll all be swimming, diving, and whatever else ducks do in there!!! That's what I would do, at least.

I know you're frustrated with your initial experience, but I'd definitely give it another chance, but definitely provide night shelter for them. I've even got 1/2" hardware cloth covering bottom of pen. I used a slightly larger size since I was covering it with dirt and it would be much more complicated for something to stick their hands in. Regardless, raccoons are super crafty when it comes to getting into stuff and I wouldn't go any larger than 1/2", keeping 1/4" for all walls. I built it completely by myself (I'm a 39 yr old female in average health) in two days. My nephew helped me with flipping frame over to add bottom and then helped move completed pen into place, but that was it! I got most of my framing lumber from new construction sites. Most contractors are more than happy to give their "scrapes" away-they have to haul it off or pay to have it done removed so it saves them a small bit of hassle. I Didn't use any plans or anything, just researched it and saw something I liked and improvised. I added a pond in there using one of the pond thingys they use for backyard ponds. I just built a little frame for it, cut shape out of plywood, put pond in there then nailed lip of it to plywood. They have a ramp that leads them up to it. I opted for this instead of a kiddie pool so I could clean it without having to move it. I just added a drain to the pond and ran some pvc pipe to reach outside the pen. I also use Biner clips on the two door latches so no creature of the night figure out how to open it. I put a latch at the top of the door and bottom so that should something "accidentally" get one off, it still has to get through the second one at the opposite end of door. I know it sounds like overkill, but I've had raccoons get into some pretty secured places!

If you, or anyone for that matter, is interested in more photos or dimensions and such, I'm more than happy to share. Ducks are so lovable! I'd hate for anyone to lose theirs, especially if I can at least throw some ideas and options out to help them. They're so vulnerable, especially at night. We love their goofy clumsiness, but it's a huge disadvantage to them. Anyway, I've rambled way too long! I hope this helps someone!

Last edited:
One final note: (sorry I'm so wordy!) It seems like a lot of work and time invested, but it's definitely worth it! I hate that your first experience hasn't been the greatest. We all love just watching them. I'm sure you're aware of how cute and fun they are, but here's a little clip I took during a recent rain shower. They especially like the pond in the rain!

Jacob04, I was just reading your earlier comments in a different thread regarding your coop...I feel silly! You know what you're doing, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I know you've also got chickens which have slightly different housing needs, too.

My pen is obviously very basic, but it meets their needs. I'm in Texas and don't generally have the bitter cold that some places do. I also had a super tight budget to work with.

Last edited:
Hi. Don't worry about it... they will soon be on the pond all the time loving it.

It just takes them time. They are scared of the huge amount of space of the water.

My ducks always do this when I raise new ducklings.

I find the best way is to leave them to discover it on their own. Forcing them into it makes them dislike it even more.

To help them along feed them at the waters edge. They like to mix the food with the water.. then they will start to paddle in it.. then short swims.. then they will... er.. take to it like ducks to water!

It can take a long time... but just be patient... its normal.

Back
Top Bottom