Ducks wont swim

dUcK bOi

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2019
I have 4 ducks, 2 of them go up a ramp to swim in the kiddie pool. But the other 2 won't go in there. They have watched the others go in so I think they know how to get in but they just won't. They are dirty and need to wash off but I've never once seen them in the pool. My brother said He saw one that looked wet and was talking about how he doesn't seem waterproof. Their former owner had a pond maybe that has something to do with it. I have no idea. Thank you for your time.

You can try putting them in the pool or just wait till they figure it out.

That’s how ours learned to stay in the pool, we had to pick them up and hold them in the pool for 10 seconds or so then they would start cleaning up. We have rocks on the inside and outside of the pool as a ramp but the ducks couldn’t figure out how to get into the pool. We had to literally hold them and ‘walk’ them along the rocks multiple times until they finally caught on. We held them around the wings so their feet were dangling, and moved them ‘step by step’ into the pool and back out. It’s a little bit time consuming but it works.

I had to try different materials for my duck ramps. First, steep ramps are no good, ducks just can't handle them well. Narrow ramps are difficult for them to navigate, they can't see their feet when walking. Uneven surfaces like steps are difficult too. What ended up working very well for me was some old 18" ceramic tiles I had been saving. I turned them over so that the rough side is up. After the ducks demonstrated that they liked the first one I added more. I now have them on three sides of the pool for easy access. I placed a brick in the pool to help with getting out. I hope this helps.
Ramp.png

That’s how ours learned to stay in the pool, we had to pick them up and hold them in the pool for 10 seconds or so then they would start cleaning up. We have rocks on the inside and outside of the pool as a ramp but the ducks couldn’t figure out how to get into the pool. We had to literally hold them and ‘walk’ them along the rocks multiple times until they finally caught on. We held them around the wings so their feet were dangling, and moved them ‘step by step’ into the pool and back out. It’s a little bit time consuming but it works.

I had to try different materials for my duck ramps. First, steep ramps are no good, ducks just can't handle them well. Narrow ramps are difficult for them to navigate, they can't see their feet when walking. Uneven surfaces like steps are difficult too. What ended up working very well for me was some old 18" ceramic tiles I had been saving. I turned them over so that the rough side is up. After the ducks demonstrated that they liked the first one I added more. I now have them on three sides of the pool for easy access. I placed a brick in the pool to help with getting out. I hope this helps.View attachment 1819624

Thank you so much I haven't thought of that we have been using wood that was probably too narrow for them

Back
Top Bottom