Ducks

Yep I do have large covered run with several pools in it for them. Thank you for the compliment, my husband will be so proud someone liked his work.
Ooo, I'd love to see it! We've got a barebones run for our ducks right now and would love some inspiration as we plan to improve it this spring! :)

As for the question of ducks in the pool.... if they can see and somehow get to the water, they will! Mine have a kiddie pool and will still hop in their water if it's low enough, will hop in a bucket or if the hose is on creating a little standing running water, they're on it! Is the breed you're getting able to fly? It might make it easier to keep them out of the pool if they can't fly and if you are able to fence off the pool a bit.

Hi! We have a small flock of 9 chickens. I have ordered 5 ducks who will be arriving in April. To give you a quick description of the scenario- they will each have their own coop with a connected shared run. They will come out of the run daily but only with the supervision of a family member because of the hawks. My husband has brought up the concern to me of them going in our in-ground pool. Our backyard is approx a little over an acre with the chickens/ducks being on one side and the pool on the other. There is no fence surrounding the pool nor are we willing to do that. Last summer which was the first summer with chickens, they didn’t mess with it and all was well. Should we be worried about the ducks going in if they have access to a smaller swimming pool in their run? We don’t want to have to be on top of them with the worry that if the kids or I turn our backs or step away they are sneaking into the pool and pooping! Anyone with personal experiences and thoughts on this matter would be so helpful. I really want ducks and trying to convince my husband that all will be well. Ha. Thanks in advance!!

Chuck and Buck walk past their kiddie pool, go through a hole in the fence, waddle under the RV, across the patio, and cannonball into the in ground pool every chance they get.

That's why pool sweepers and chemicals exist. :)

Ooo, I'd love to see it! We've got a barebones run for our ducks right now and would love some inspiration as we plan to improve it this spring! :)

As for the question of ducks in the pool.... if they can see and somehow get to the water, they will! Mine have a kiddie pool and will still hop in their water if it's low enough, will hop in a bucket or if the hose is on creating a little standing running water, they're on it! Is the breed you're getting able to fly? It might make it easier to keep them out of the pool if they can't fly and if you are able to fence off the pool a bit.
Ok so here are some pics of the run, there is netting over the entire thing and a tarp covering the area closest to the duck's house. It is actually larger than these pics give it credit for though. And while I was looking for pics of the run I ran across some from last year when the baby pekins got to start meeting the big ducks and I could not help but throw those in here too. In the winter I wrap in plastic to help protect them from the wind and cold.

Attachments

• 20191029_102226.jpg
    20191029_102226.jpg
    989.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191029_102240.jpg
    20191029_102240.jpg
    984 KB · Views: 9
  • 20191119_082643.jpg
    20191119_082643.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191119_082710.jpg
    20191119_082710.jpg
    545.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190508_104104.jpg
    20190508_104104.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190509_132442.jpg
    20190509_132442.jpg
    997.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190509_132550-EFFECTS.jpg
    20190509_132550-EFFECTS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20190510_112053.jpg
    20190510_112053.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Ok so here are some pics of the run, there is netting over the entire thing and a tarp covering the area closest to the duck's house. It is actually larger than these pics give it credit for though. And while I was looking for pics of the run I ran across some from last year when the baby pekins got to start meeting the big ducks and I could not help but throw those in here too. In the winter I wrap in plastic to help protect them from the wind and cold.

Love it!! And those ducklings.... make me want some! :love Thank you for sharing these!

I believe @WannaBeHillBilly refers to ducklings that age as duckagers .
Ducknagers - similar to Teenagers. - I know that "n" isn't quite correct, but makes the word easier to pronounce
Aaand i have another fluff-butt duckling-fever attack! - It's that time of the year again where i must be blind-folded at the entrance of every farm-store…

Chuck and Buck walk past their kiddie pool, go through a hole in the fence, waddle under the RV, across the patio, and cannonball into the in ground pool every chance they get.

That's why pool sweepers and chemicals exist. :)
That's why i can't have a pool! No pool sweeper or chemical could keep up with my 29 rascals…

Go Chuck and Buck! Go!

Back
Top Bottom