Ducks!

Emmjjaayy

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2020
Hello! Need some advice here. I have 6 ducks. It appears we have two females and the rest males judging by their quack ( if that’s accurate). I heard that you need 3 females per male. My husband says no way we can get 12 more ducks. We also don’t want to get rid of any :( is there anyway we can keep them the way they are? Any suggestions? I hear the drakes get very aggressive towards the females so I’m unsure what to do. They are 9 weeks old.

The only way you could keep them as they are is to provide separate housing for the males and females. Otherwise, the males are going to run the poor girls ragged. So, you'd want to build a second coop and run, or devise a way to split the coop and run you already have for them in half.

The only way you could keep them as they are is to provide separate housing for the males and females. Otherwise, the males are going to run the poor girls ragged. So, you'd want to build a second coop and run, or devise a way to split the coop and run you already have for them in half.
Ok we’ll have to build another coop then. Do I keep them separate at all times? I let them wander my backyard, is that ok for them to do together?

Ok we’ll have to build another coop then. Do I keep them separate at all times? I let them wander my backyard, is that ok for them to do together?

You might be able to, but chances are the males are going to try to mate with them as soon as they are given the chance, so you'll need to watch and if the males are constantly after the females while they're out together, then you'll need to keep them split up for free ranging, too.

Back
Top Bottom