duckweed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by flockmarket, Sep 10, 2011.

1. flockmarket

flockmarket Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    so, im wondering what duckweed is good for when it comes to chickens, i already have a comfrey plant, but im thinking about getting a patch of duckweed, should i? could i just put it in a bucket with water and let it grow, (adding some worm tea every once in a while), or do i need to do something crazy like add cleaners, and antibiotics to it. if i have to do that<<--- then i don't want it, but if i can grow it like a normal plant and haand it to my chickens ill consider buying it. thanks!

2. flockmarket

flockmarket Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    also, what kind of duckweed should i get? i live in zone 8, and the only reason i would get it would be for the chickens, so warm summers, no snow winters, and good for chickens, thanks!

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Ugh, duckweed...
    I have no idea if chickens can eat water plants...if they can, you should go with larger floaters.
    Try some Frogbit, Pennywort, Salvinia or water lettuce. Leave the duckweed in H*ll where it belongs. All floaters are super easy to grow, no need to add anything. Just get a bucket or wide bin, fill w/water. Let it warm, keep it in full sun, toss in plants, watch them grow like crazy. If you want them for fall/winter, you will need to bring the bucket inside where it doesn't get under 70F. If it does, you need a aquarium heater. Also toss over a lamp so they can grow. A window won't work. Salvinia grows the fastest.

Frogbit-blue
    Salvinia-brown
    mini Water lettuce- purple
    Duckweed-red
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. Bryanshantel

Bryanshantel Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2014
    north of Pensacola
    I've tried this and I can't get it to grow. Does it need an air supply? I have fed it chicken poo started it with my aquaponics water which it survives on but does not multiply. I have brought it in the house, for the winter. It is in a sun on the south east side so it get good light not to cold and not to warm. Had it for months lost some when I didn't bring it in fast enough and the cold killed some.It is just not multiplying. I also live in zone 8

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by