duckweed?

flockmarket

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
so, im wondering what duckweed is good for when it comes to chickens, i already have a comfrey plant, but im thinking about getting a patch of duckweed, should i? could i just put it in a bucket with water and let it grow, (adding some worm tea every once in a while), or do i need to do something crazy like add cleaners, and antibiotics to it. if i have to do that<<--- then i don't want it, but if i can grow it like a normal plant and haand it to my chickens ill consider buying it. thanks!

also, what kind of duckweed should i get? i live in zone 8, and the only reason i would get it would be for the chickens, so warm summers, no snow winters, and good for chickens, thanks!

Ugh, duckweed...
I have no idea if chickens can eat water plants...if they can, you should go with larger floaters.
Try some Frogbit, Pennywort, Salvinia or water lettuce. Leave the duckweed in H*ll where it belongs. All floaters are super easy to grow, no need to add anything. Just get a bucket or wide bin, fill w/water. Let it warm, keep it in full sun, toss in plants, watch them grow like crazy. If you want them for fall/winter, you will need to bring the bucket inside where it doesn't get under 70F. If it does, you need a aquarium heater. Also toss over a lamp so they can grow. A window won't work. Salvinia grows the fastest.

Frogbit-blue
Salvinia-brown
mini Water lettuce- purple
Duckweed-red
303295_258166527550196_100000705527207_864251_626182169_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh, duckweed...
I have no idea if chickens can eat water plants...if they can, you should go with larger floaters.
Try some Frogbit, Pennywort, Salvinia or water lettuce. Leave the duckweed in H*ll where it belongs. All floaters are super easy to grow, no need to add anything. Just get a bucket or wide bin, fill w/water. Let it warm, keep it in full sun, toss in plants, watch them grow like crazy. If you want them for fall/winter, you will need to bring the bucket inside where it doesn't get under 70F. If it does, you need a aquarium heater. Also toss over a lamp so they can grow. A window won't work. Salvinia grows the fastest.

Frogbit-blue
Salvinia-brown
mini Water lettuce- purple
Duckweed-red
303295_258166527550196_100000705527207_864251_626182169_n.jpg

I've tried this and I can't get it to grow. Does it need an air supply? I have fed it chicken poo started it with my aquaponics water which it survives on but does not multiply. I have brought it in the house, for the winter. It is in a sun on the south east side so it get good light not to cold and not to warm. Had it for months lost some when I didn't bring it in fast enough and the cold killed some.It is just not multiplying. I also live in zone 8

Back
Top Bottom