Duckwing Leghorns

Pics
What's considered a Duckwing.
Doesn't specify Silver or Gold

Duckwing%20Leghorn2.jpg

Don't all the top US lt brown and dark brown breeders still do hen lines/cock lines? I thought it was necessary in duckwing patterns because of the way our standards were written. I think to get the best-colored birds of each gender in the Isabels we'd have to do the same.

I will tell you that I've started to reach out to a few people overseas haven't really yet gotten the bulk of the information I'm looking for but... I can tell you that they are heavily, heavily, into keeping cockerel and pullet lines separately for show purposes.Even with common colors as the Browns.

The two varieties of browns were BUILT on and developed because of breeding for cockerel lines and pullet lines... light browns are commonly called the most beautiful hens of all of our APA breeds while the dark browns were developed to really let the gem tones of the cock birds shine.

I don't really know what that translates to in the variety I have, which is a dilute (apparently) of light browns. I guess I don't think about it too much... honestly color and pattern is pretty far down on my priority list. I'd probably do better working with white leghorns according to my personal point system. :D

I have never heard whether or not silvers have dual line-breeding systems? To be honest, I think silver hens are far more beautiful than browns, but they're so rare and apparently nobody has good quality ones anymore according to "those in the know". On the flipside, silver cocks are kinda... meh. But a well-built bird with the presence of a good leghorn is impressive regardless of his color. To be honest, even if he was the color of dirt all over I'd probably think a leghorn cock bird in full feather and prime condition was a stunning thing to behold.

I kind of assumed that
I just had a brain fart, keeping the two lines separately to breed for ideals in each gender is called double mating? Or does that mean something else?

Anyone?

Sorry.
I'm a newbie, just gathering info from both sides of the pond ,including down under in Australia.I have a goal in mind and am in the process of researching. Not familair the terminology yet.

Yes it's called double mating.
I assume the pro's will tell you duckwing need to be double mated for the best quality of both sexes.
I'm not an expert on the matter because I think it's stupid. It makes no sense to me that the standard is written to make the practice necessary.
I was at a show a few years ago and talked to someone about my silver leghorns. They bred silver duckwing OEGB and talked about double mating.
Of course I played dumb as a stump because the experts love to talk to you about what they have going on if they fell superior to you.
They mentioned for your pullets you need to breed males with white in their breasts to produce show quality pullets.
IDK I started failing to pay much attention at that point.

Found this on a Chicken Breeding forum...
The Leghorn Club
They touched upon Duckwings on this post.
Read the middle post...

View attachment 1980930

Does anyone concur with this protocol?
What do you think?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom