Duckwing Leghorns

I think it's stupid. It makes no sense to me that the standard is written to make the practice necessary.
IMO FWIW - it's a bit silly to erase the practicality of chickens for show. However, I guess that is very much just my view.

Some things that humans have done to chickens so they are more showy, or will win at shows...if they diminish the chickens health, well being, survival, practicality.....seem a sad state of affairs.

Yes it's called double mating.
I assume the pro's will tell you duckwing need to be double mated for the best quality of both sexes.
I'm not an expert on the matter because I think it's stupid. It makes no sense to me that the standard is written to make the practice necessary.
I was at a show a few years ago and talked to someone about my silver leghorns. They bred silver duckwing OEGB and talked about double mating.
Of course I played dumb as a stump because the experts love to talk to you about what they have going on if they fell superior to you.
They mentioned for your pullets you need to breed males with white in their breasts to produce show quality pullets.
IDK I started failing to pay much attention at that point.
That’s why the Welsummer Standard is written a lot more practically. It calls for red specks on the breast.

IMO FWIW - it's a bit silly to erase the practicality of chickens for show. However, I guess that is very much just my view.

Some things that humans have done to chickens so they are more showy, or will win at shows...if they diminish the chickens health, well being, survival, practicality.....seem a sad state of affairs.
In defense of the Standard though, they bring so much more practicality and health to their birds than hatcheries. If the Standard disappeared tomorrow, eventually the only chickens that would exist would be meat and egg layer birds because there would be no incentive for them to exist and they would eventually die out. If it ever had a fault it would be because it is not being applied correctly. In the first pages of the book it calls for people to select for productive traits and shows how to find them.

20201122_121204(1).jpg
20201122_121204.jpg
20201122_121156.jpg

Back
Top Bottom