Dude or Duddette: Time to re-cast your vote!

At 5-6 months has to be a pullet I can't see any male attributes in that bird and it's pretty much mature enough to be crowing or laying an egg!

Quote:
A mystery.

No really, it is one of my Aloha Chicken project birds. A mutt to end all mutts.

Two tests for you to perform (if you can bear the heat).

1) pick up the bird and put one finger underneath one of the saddle feathers. Check the end, is the featehr rounded or pointed? With patterns, sometimes the pattern looks pointed, but if you look at the whole feather tip, you can see that it is rounded. Okay, do that with several saddle and hackle area feathers.

2) while holding the bird in your hand, find the pubic bones and feel if they are close together and quite tight, or further apart and slightly loose. You might want to try this on a known cock and young laying pullet first, to see for the difference you're looking for. I will pretty much guarantee that you will get an pretty good idea of what you have.

Oh, here is another idea. Put it in a cage in the bathroom overnight. If he is crowing, you'll soon know. If she is laying, you may find that out, too.

2) while holding the bird in your hand, find the pubic bones and feel if they are close together and quite tight, or further apart and slightly loose. You might want to try this on a known cock and young laying pullet first, to see for the difference you're looking for. I will pretty much guarantee that you will get an pretty good idea of what you have.

Did you just suggest I got feel up my bird?
wink.png
lol.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I suppose I will get around to it eventually. Salty has always been uber-skittish around me, and just recently warmed up to me. ie--yesterday's photo shoot. Darn bird was underfoot. Usually my roos aer always friendly, and get distant with puberty, where as the hens get lovey after the first egg. Must be a girl thing.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom