Due Date Today- Our First Pip

7isheaven

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Today is our Copper Maran's due date. And we have one external Pip so far! We are on Hatch Watch tonight.
🐣🐣🐣

deborah :wee
B-1.pip.6.25.2020.jpg

Yesterday was so busy!! So here’s my late update. Right smack in the middle of our annual summer crab feast, little chick #3 hatched to the excitement of everyone. We have a 4th that pipped last night and 2 more to go, so fingers crossed and prayers sent! 🐣🐥
7B8E082D-4F20-4937-96EF-B0544B35F6A1.jpeg

Final Update
On this hatch. the 4th pip was very low, and while it was alive and showing beak, it died before hatching :(. [nothing obvious]. Happily, another egg pipped and hatched with no issues. So out of 9 eggs set, 6 looked viable at candling, and 4 healthy chicks survived!! Pretty good.

Wait. That's not all!

Apparently, my neighbor friend kept back 14 eggs- so when I proved I could hatch them, we set those as well. We were not very hopeful any would hatch because he put some under a hen and some left on the porch. With wildly changing temps we figured it likely all would have been killed. But not so. . . .

Of the 14, 8 looked possibly viable. FIVE Hatched!!. [with one assist] All chicks were given back to the neighbor. I enjoy being a chicken midwife, lol.
However, with those final cuties, I am done with hatching for awhile- maybe I'll be back in a couple of years. :)
IMG_0790 2.jpg
IMG_0796.jpg

Back
Top Bottom