Due to circumstances beyond my control...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Uzuri, May 17, 2011.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    ... I *will* be picking out three replacement chicks in August [​IMG]

Well, or kind of [​IMG] since it's only because we lost the favorite and that she was one of my younger girls. So now I'm down to two younger hens, and 5 hens who will be in their third season. So I've got to get some young blood in.

Anyway, I'm thinking this year to get something "sensible" (aka, a heavy producer) to get my numbers up a little and then something fun and colorful, but not horribly deficient in the numbers area. I want help narrowing the field! I plan to get three chicks, of three different kinds. Oh, and I order from Meyer, since they're close, and since my experience has been good so far.

Here's what I already have:
    2 silver laced Wyandotte
    2 gold laced Wyandotte (these are the "young ladies", in their first laying season)
    2 Welsummers
    1 Java
    And I had a Buff Orp, but because she was special, I'm not ready for another just yet.

As you can tell, I'm a Wyandotte fan.

What I'm looking at for production are:
    Australorp*
    Golden Buff/Cinnamon Queen/Gold sex-link, whatever you care to call them*
    Exchequer Leghorn

What I'm looking for for "fun" and color are:
    Barred Rock
    Columbian Wyandotte*
    Speckled Sussex
    Delaware
    Salmon Faverolle
    White Rock

I've starred the three that I'm currently leaning toward. But I want to hear all and any arguments for other assortments! The reason I've not included EEs in the list is because I know that getting only one is rather like buying a single lottery ticket -- the odds are well against you.

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    You could put Barred Rocks on both those lists! They are great layers, and mine lay well even in cold weather.

3. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    My white rock is an excellent layer. As well, the cinnamon queen/Gold star is supposed to be a phenominal layer as well. I believe they are a cross with the white rock.

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    It's interesting that Meyer has them only rated as a 4 eggs a week (and I only put 5+ on the "production" list, just to have a place to draw the line), but then goes and includes them in their production pack where they say that all the breeds in there are 5+. Go figure!

5. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    I can't speak to production (mine are only 6 weeks), but I can say the barred rocks are super friendly (I have wellies, SS, BPR, Faverolles, Bhramas).

6. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    My Golden Comet (or Star) is an excellent layer with big brown eggs everyday and she is 2 years old. I would recommend that breed for sure.

7. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    hehe; Turkens AKA: Naked Necks are GREAT layers, fun to watch change, have great personalities & are all different colors..lays a brown egg

8. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    I adore my speckle sussex she is wonderful, stays right next to me while i am in the garden and lays beautiful eggs. I love my others too, but she is my fav, along with my buckeye.

9. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Love my barred rocks. They are laying beautiful eggs every day and have great personalities. My golden laced wyandottes are laid back and mellow while my barred rocks are talkative and entertaining. I have 2 who love to hunt for frogs (and small birds who land in the yard!) and they all feel the need to come and talk to me and tell me about their day. They laid all winter as well.

10. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    I have both the barred rocks and the gold sex links... Very good choices and sweet birds!!!! GREAT LAYERS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by